1. Loeser JD, Treede RD. The Kyoto protocol of IASP Basic Pain Terminology. Pain 2008; 137(3):473–77.
2. Merskey H, Bogduk N, eds. Classification of chronic pain: descriptions of chronic pain syndromes and definitions of pain terms. 2nd ed. Seattle, WA: International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) Press; 1994.
4. WHO guidelines on the pharmacological treatment of persisting pain in children with medical illnesses. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2012.1, Classification of Pain in Children. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK138356//.
Accessed January 2015.
5. Thienhaus O, Cole BE. Classification of pain. In: Weiner RS. Pain management: a practical guide
for clinicians, 6th ed. New York; NY, CRC Press: 2002.
6. Merskey H, Bogduk N, eds. Classification of chronic pain: descriptions of chronic pain syndromes and definitions of pain terms. 2nd ed. Seattle, WA: International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) Press; 1994.
7. Lynch M. Pain: the fifth vital sign. Comprehensive assessment leads to proper treatment. Adv Nurse Pract 2001; 9(11):28-36.
8. Chambliss CR, Heggen J, Copelan DN, Pettignano R. The assessment and management of chronic pain in children. Paediatr Drugs. 2002; 4(11):737-46.
9. von Baeyer CL, Spagrud LJ. Systematic review of observational (behavioral) measures of pain for children and adolescents aged 3 to 18 years. Pain 2007; 127(1-2):140–150.
10. Haanpää M, Treede F-D. Diagnosis and classification of neuropathic pain. IASP Clinical Updates2010;18:1–6.
11. Ingelmo PM, Fumagalli R. Neuropathic pain in children. Minerva Anestesiologica 2004; 70(5):393–98.
12. von Baeyer CL. Children’s self-reports of pain intensity: scale selection, limitations and interpretation. Pain Research & Management, 2006, 11(3):157–162.
13. von Baeyer CL. Children’s self-report of pain intensity: what we know, where we are headed. Pain Research & Management, 2009, 14(1):39–45.
14. Wong-Baker FACES Pain Rating Scale is from Wong D.L., Hockenberry-Eaton M., Wilson D., Winkelstein M.L., Schwartz P.: Wong's Essentials of Pediatric Nursing. ed. 6 St. Louis: 2001, p. 1301. Copyrighted by Mosby, Inc. Reprinted by permission.
15. Palermo TM. Assessment of chronic pain in children: current status and emerging topics. Pain Research & Management& Management 2009; 14(1):21–6.