Document Type : original article
Department of Clinical Psychology, Bushehr Branch, Islamic Azad University, Bushehr, Iran
Department of Psychology, Semnan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Semnan, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tabriz, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, Urmia University of Technology, Iran
Background: The present research aimed at comparing the effect of play therapy and selected sports exercises on self-confidence, physical self-efficacy and mental toughness in children.
Methods: This study followed a semi-experimental design. The statistical population included children aged 9 to 11 years. The participants included 60 children divided into one control (group 1) two experimental groups (groups 2, and 3), each comprising 20 individuals. Group 2 was under the training of play therapy and group 3 enjoyed selected sports exercises. Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) was used for analyzing the data.
Results and Conclusion: It was found that there is a significant difference between the three groups in the average self-confidence, mental toughness, and physical self-efficacy. The influence of selected sports exercises on self-confidence, mental toughness and physical self-efficacy of children was revealed to be more than that of play therapy.
- Roghani, A., Nyarko, S., & Sparks, C. (2021). The first family formation among young Americans: the role of family process. SN Social Sciences, 1(2). doi: 10.1007/s43545-020-00045-x.
- Jin, X., Wong, C. L., Li, H., Chen, J., Chong, Y. Y., & Bai, Y. (2021). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for psychological and behavioral changes among parents of children with chronic health conditions: A systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
- Dana, A., & Christodoulides, E. (2020). The Effects of a Period of Selected Physical Activity on Improving Manipulative and Locomotors Skills of Children with Neuropsychological Learning Disabilities. Journal of Rehabilitation Sciences and Research, 7(1), 25-30.
- Opree, S. J., Buijzen, M., & Van Reijmersdal, E. A. (2018). Development and validation of the psychological well-being scale for children (PWB-c). Societies, 8(1), 18.
- Qian, G., Zheng, W., Wang, W., Chen, X., Li, L., Yang, W., & Yu, A. (2019). Relationship between social development and psychological adaptation of the first-born children in China. Current Psychology, 1-8.
- Weiss, M. R. (1991). Psychological skill development in children and adolescents. The Sport Psychologist, 5(4), 335-354.
- Soomro, N., Bibir, R. Latif, M., Kamran, B., Ahmed, SI. (2013). Differences in the level of self- esteem of housewives and working women. Medical Channel. 19(3): 48-50.
- Srivastava, R., Joshi, S. (2014). Relationship between self- concept and self- esteem in adolescents. International Journal of Advanced Research. 2(2): 36-43
- Al-Khouly, A. A. R. A. (2021). Depression in Relation to Self-confidence among Children Visual Impairment. International Journal of Childhood and Women’s Studies, 1(1), 57-88.
- Peers, C., Issartel, J., Behan, S., O'Connor, N., & Belton, S. (2020). Movement competence: Association with physical self-efficacy and physical activity. Human movement science, 70, 102582.
- Khorshidi F, Fathi G. (2017). The relationship between general self-efficacy and attachment styles with body image of female students, Psychiatric Nursing, 6 (1), 26-33.
- Moschovi, D., Kapetanakis, E. I., Sfiridis, P. G., Rammos, S., & Mavrikaki, E. (2020). Physical activity levels and self-efficacy of Greek children with congenital heart disease compared to their healthy peers. Hellenic Journal of Cardiology, 61(3), 180-186.
- Colella, D., Morano, M., Bortoli, L., & Robazza, C. (2008). A physical self-efficacy scale for children. Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal, 36(6), 841-848.
- McGeown, S. P., St Clair-Thompson, H., & Clough, P. (2016). The study of non-cognitive attributes in education: Proposing the mental toughness framework. Educational Review, 68(1), 96-113.
- Nicholls, A. R, Polman, C. J & Holt, N. L, (2008), The effects of individualized imagery interventions on Golf performance and flow state: Athletic-Insight. Annual Conference, Berlin. Available.
- Jones, G. Hanton, S. & Connaughton, D. (2007). A framework of mental toughness in the world’s best performers. The Sport Psychologist, 21, 243_264.
- Flôres, F. S., Rodrigues, L. P., Copetti, F., Lopes, F., & Cordovil, R. (2019). Affordances for motor skill development in home, school, and sport environments: A narrative review. Perceptual and motor skills, 126(3), 366-388.
- Warner, M., Robinson, J., Heal, B., Lloyd, J., Mandigo, J., Lennox, B., & Huyer, L. D. (2021). Increasing physical literacy in youth: A two-week Sport for Development program for children aged 6-10. Prospects, 50(1), 165-182.
- Moradi, J., Bahrami, A., & Amir, D. (2020). Motivation for participation in sports based on athletes in team and individual sports. Physical Culture and Sport, 85(1), 14-21.
- Sabzi, A. H., Dana, A., Salehian, M. H., & Shaygan Yekta, H. (2021). The Effect of Water Treadmill Exercise on Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. International Journal of Pediatrics.
- Dana A; Rafiee S, Sultan Ahmadi T, Hamzeh Sabzi A. (2017). The effect of training based on developmental physical education on students' attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, motor behavior, 32; 17-34.
- Fazelinia Z; Dana A. (2019). Comparison of the effect of perceptual-motor exercises and resistance-balance exercises on behavioral disorders of children with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, Movement Behavior, 12 (40), 86-67.
- Omidvar A, Dana A, Hamzeh Sabzi A, Pourpanahi M. (2017). The effect of education based on developmental physical education on the working memory of elementary school students, School Psychology, 7(1), 101-83.
- Roghani, A. (2021, February 16). Parental Relationship Quality, Family Structure History, and the Formation of First Union in the United States. https://doi.org/10.31235/osf.io/d63j9.
- Bessa, C., Hastie, P., Rosado, A., & Mesquita, I. (2021). Sport Education and Traditional Teaching: Influence on Students’ Empowerment and Self-Confidence in High School Physical Education Classes. Sustainability, 13(2), 578.
- So, H., Ha, T., Yu, H., & Gentry, C. (2020). Effects of a Sport Education Intervention on Students’ Self-Esteem and Sport Confidence in University Badminton Classes.
- Roohi, A., Tahmasebi Boroujeni, S., & Jaberi Moqadam, A. A. (2019). The Effect of Sport Stacking Intervention on Students' Self-Confidence and Bimanual Coordination. Sport Psychology Studies, 8(27), 67-80.
- Crust, L. (2007). Mental toughness in sport: A review. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 5(3), 270-290.
- Cowden, R. G. (2017). Mental toughness and success in sport: A review and prospect. The Open Sports Sciences Journal, 10(1).
- Vitali, F., Robazza, C., Bortoli, L., Bertinato, L., Schena, F., & Lanza, M. (2019). Enhancing fitness, enjoyment, and physical self-efficacy in primary school children: a DEDIPAC naturalistic study. PeerJ, 7, e6436.