Document Type : case report
- Seyed Hesamedin Nabavizadeh 1
- Hossein Esmaeilzadeh 1
- Soheila Alyasin 2
- Abbas Avazpour 3
- Aida Askarisarvestani 4
1 Department of Pediatrics,Allergy Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
2 Department of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
3 Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
4 Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Patients with Severe Combined Immunodeficiency are at high risk of Transfusion Associated Graft Versus Host Disease (TAGVHD) if they receive a non-radiated blood product that has a high mortality rate. This Case study reports on the case of a premature baby who had anemia of prematurity with a normal level of WBC. He received packed red blood cells, but after a while, he developed severe nausea and skin lesions. Endoscopy was done and the biopsy from the gastrointestinal lesions as well as the biopsy from the skin lesions showed graft versus host disease when he was 6 months old. However, he has received Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and is well now after about 4 months from his transplant.
- Kliegman, Robert. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Edition 21. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier, 2020.
- Endo K, Fujishima F, Kuroha M, Moroi R, Onodera M, Naito T, Kanazawa Y, Kimura T, Shiga H, Kakuta Y, Kinouchi Y, Shimosegawa T. Effective and less invasive diagnostic strategy for gastrointestinal GVHD. Endosc Int Open. 2018 Mar; 6(3):E281-E291. doi: 10.1055/s-0043-122226. Epub 2018 Mar 1, PMID: 29507868; PMCID: PMC5832465.
- van der Spek J, Groenwold RH, van der Burg M, van Montfrans JM. TREC Based Newborn Screening for Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disease: A Systematic Review. J Clin Immunol. 2015 May; 35(4):416-30. doi: 10.1007/s10875-015-0152-6. Epub 2015 Apr 17. PMID: 25893636; PMCID: PMC4438204.
- Kopolovic I, Ostro J, Tsubota H, Lin Y, Cserti-Gazdewich CM, Messner HA, Keir AK, DenHollander N, Dzik WS, Callum J; A systematic review of transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease. Blood 2015; 126 (3): 406–414. doi: https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2015-01-620872.