Document Type : original article
Pediatrics Department, Faculty of Medicine, Sohag University, Sohag, Egypt
department of pediatrics, sohag Faculty of medicine, Sohag University, Egypt
Department of Clinical and chmical pathology, Sohag faculty of medicine Sohag University, Egypt
Department of clinical and chemical Pathology, Sohag faculty of medicine, Sohag university, Egypt.
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Sohag University, Sohag, Egypt.
Pediatrics department Sohag faculty of medicine Sohag university, Egypt
Background: Allergic diseases represent one of the most common types of diseases globally and affect a large sector of population especially children. The main purpose of this study is to evaluate the relation between serum periostin and different allergic diseases and to compare them with children of non-allergic diseases as a control group.
Methods: 80 children were included in the study; 40 had allergic diseases and 40 children had no allergic diseases as controls. All participants completed the history and clinical examination, complete blood count, total serum immunoglobulin IgE (UI/ml), and serum periostin level.
Results: Among the patients with allergic diseases, bronchial asthma was the most common diagnosed disease 29/40 (72.50%). Patients with allergic diseases had significantly higher mean (±SD) serum periostin when compared to infants with no allergic diseases (271.9±263.27 ng/ml and 115.33±191.42 ng/ml, P-value 0.0001). However, highly elevated serum periostin >150 ng/ml were found exclusively in patients with allergic diseases 22/40 (55.00%) and only in 4/40 (10.0%) of the controls (p-value<0.0001). Furthermore, there were a statistically significant difference between the patients with different degrees of allergic diseases severity and serum periostin level as it was 1080±251.73 ng/ml in severe allergic diseases compared to 244.5±263.57 ng/ml in mild allergic diseases (P- value 0.01).
Conclusion: The most common type of allergic diseases in our study was bronchial asthma. Higher serum periostin levels were observed in allergic patients in comparison to the controls; and they were found to have a significant relationship with disease severity.
- Fischer D, Vander Leek TK, Ellis AK, Kim H. Anaphylaxis. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2018; 14(2):54.
- Pinart M, Albang R, Maier D, Duran-Tauleria E, Mena G, Gimeno-Santos E, Solà I, Garcia-Aymerich J, Guerra S, Stein RT, Benet M, Carlsen KH, Herr M, Jacquemin B, Momas I, Pin I, Rancière F, Smit HA, Varraso R, Bonfill X, Keil T, Bousquet J, Antó JM. Systematic review on the definition of allergic diseases in children: The Medall study. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2015; 168(2):110-21.
- Cobo, T, Viloria CG, Solares L, Fontanil T, González-Chamorro E, Carlos FD, Cobo J, Cal S, Obaya AJ. Role of periostin in adhesion and migration of bone remodeling cells. PLoS One. 2016; 11(1), e0147837.
- Izuhara K, Ohta S, Ono J. Using periostin as a biomarker in the treatment of asthma. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res. 2016; 8(6):491.
- Izuhara K, Arima K, Ohta S, Suzuki S, Inamitsu M, Yamamoto K I. Periostin in allergic inflammation. Allergol Int 2014; 63(2):143-51.
- Jia G, Erickson RW, Choy DF, Mosesova S, Wu LC, and Solberg OD. Periostin is a systemic biomarker of eosinophilic airway inflammation in asthmatic patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 130(3):647-54.
- Kanemitsu Y, Matsumoto H, Izuhara K, Tohda Y, Kita H, Horiguchi T, Kuwabara K, Tomii K, Otsuka K, Fujimura M, Ohkura N, Tomita K, Yokoyama A, Ohnishi H, Nakano Y, Oguma T, Hozawa S, Nagasaki T, Ito I, Oguma T, Inoue H, Tajiri T, Iwata T, Izuhara Y, Ono J, Ohta S, Tamari M, Hirota T, Yokoyama T, Niimi A, Mishima M. Increased periostin associates with greater airflow limitation in patients receiving inhaled corticosteroids. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 132(2):305-12.
- Hanania NA, Wenzel S, Rosén K, Hsieh HJ, Mosesova S, Choy DF, Lal P, Arron JR, Harris JM, Busse W. Exploring the effects of omalizumab in allergic asthma: an analysis of biomarkers in the EXTRA study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 187(8):804-11.
- Von Mutius E. Presentation of new GINA guidelines for pediatrics. The Global Initiative on Asthma. Clinical and experimental allergy. Clin Exp Allergy 2000; 30(1):6-10.
- Brożek JL, Bousquet J, Agache I, Agarwal A, Bachert C, Bosnic-Anticevich S, Brignardello-Petersen R, Canonica GW, Casale T, Chavannes NH, Sousa JC, Cruz AA, Cuello-Garcia CA, Demoly P, Dykewicz M, Etxeandia-Ikobaltzeta I, Florez ID, Fokkens W, Fonseca J, Hellings PW, Klimek L, Kowalski S, Kuna P, Laisaar KT, Larenas-Linnemann DE, Carlsen KCL, Manning PJ, Meltzer E, Mullol J, Muraro A, O'Hehir R, Ohta K, Panzner P, Papadopoulos N, Park HS, Passalacqua G, Pawankar R, Price D, Riva JJ, Roldán Y, Ryan D, Sadeghirad B, Samolinski B, Schmid-Grendelmeier P, Sheikh A, Togias A, Valero A, Valiulis A, Valovirta E, Ventresca M, Wallace D, Waserman S, Wickman M, Wiercioch W, Yepes-Nuñez JJ, Zhang L, Zhang Y, Zidarn M, Zuberbier T, Schünemann HJ. Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) guidelines—2016 revision. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2017; 140(4):950-58.
- Sánchez-Hernández M, Montero J, Rondon C, Benitez del Castillo JM, Velázquez E, Herreras JM, Fernández-Parra B, Merayo-Lloves J, Del Cuvillo A, Vega F, Valero A, Panizo C, Montoro J, Matheu V, Lluch-Bernal M, González M L, González R, Dordal MT, Dávila I, Colás C, Campo P, Antón E, Navarro A, SEAIC 2010 Rhinoconjunctivitis Committee; Spanish Group Ocular Surface-GESOC. Consensus document on allergic conjunctivitis (DECA). J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2015; 25(2):94-106.
- Lara-Corrales I, Bergman JN, Landells I, Ramien ML, Lansang P. Approach to the assessment and management of pediatric patients with atopic dermatitis: a consensus document. Section I: overview of pediatric atopic dermatitis. J Cutan Med Surg 2019; 23(5):3S-11S.
- Santos-Fernándeza WJ, Jones-Turciosa GS, Ávila-Vallea GL, Portillo-Canalesa S, Orellana-Áragona E, Mayorgabc Á, Herrera-Paz EF. Comparison of the prevalence of bronchial asthma in school-aged children and adolescents on Roatán Island and in other coastal communities in Honduras. Rev Med Hosp Gen Méx 2016; 79(3):124-35.
- Kahwa EK, Waldron NK, Younger NO, Edwards NC, Knight-Madden JM, Bailey KA, Wint YB, Lewis-Bell KN. Asthma and allergies in Jamaican children aged 2–17 years: a cross-sectional prevalence survey. BMJ Open 2012; 2:e001132
- Beken B, Ozturk GK, Aygun FD, Aydogmus C, Akar HH. Asthma and allergic diseases are not risk factors for hospitalization in children with coronavirus disease 2019. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2021; 126(5):569-75.
- Yavuz ST, Bagci S, Bolat A, Akin O, Ganschow R. Association of serum periostin levels with clinical features in children with asthma. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2021; 32(5):937-44.
- Higa Y, Fujikawa S, Ohta N, Ono J, Izuhara K, Shintaku H. Age-related changes in serum periostin level in allergic and non-allergic children. Allergol Int 2019; 68(2):285-56.
- Inoue T, Akashi K, Watanabe M, Ikeda Y, Ashizuka S, Motoki T, Suzuki R, Sagara N, Yanagida N, Sato S, Ebisawa M, Ohta S, Ono J, Izuhara K, Katsunuma T. Periostin as a biomarker for the diagnosis of pediatric asthma. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2016; 27(5):521-26.
- Song JS, You JS, Jeong SI, Yang S, Hwang IT, Im YJ, Baek HS, Kim HY, Suh DI, Lee HB, Izuhara K. Serum periostin levels correlate with airway hyper-responsiveness to methacholine and mannitol in children with asthma. Allergy 2015; 70(6):674-81.
- Inoue Y, Izuhara K, Ohta S, Ono J, Shimojo N. No increase in the serum periostin level is detected in elementary school-age children with allergic diseases. Allergol Int 2015; 64(3):289-90.
- Sung M, Lee KS, Ha EG, Lee SJ, Kim ME, Lee SW, Jee HM, Sheen YH, Jung YH, Han MY. An association of periostin levels with the severity and chronicity of atopic dermatitis in children. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2017; 28(6):543-50.
- Konradsen JR, Skantz E, Nordlund B, Lidegran M, James A, Ono J, Ohta S, Izuhara K, Dahlén SE, Alving K, Hedlin G. Predicting asthma morbidity in children using proposed markers of Th2‐type inflammation. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2015; 26(8):772-79.
- Tan H-TT, Sugita K, Akdis CA. Novel biologicals for the treatment of allergic diseases and asthma. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2016; 16(10):1-14.
- Sung M, Baek HS, Yon DK, Lee SW, Ha EK, Lee SK, Jee HM, Sheen YH, Ono J, Izuhara K, Han MY. Serum periostin level has limited usefulness as a biomarker for allergic disease in 7-year-old children. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2019; 180(3):195-201.
- El Basha NR, Osman HM, Abdelaal AA, Saed SM, Shaaban HH. Increased expression of serum periostin and YKL40 in children with severe asthma and asthma exacerbation. J Investig Med 2018; 66(8):1102-08.
- Jonstam K, Westman M, Holtappels G, Holweg CT, Bachert C. Serum periostin, IgE, and SE-IgE can be used as biomarkers to identify moderate to severe chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2017; 140(6):1705-08.