Document Type : original article
1 M.Sc., Department of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran.
3 Ph.D. Student, Department of Physical Education, Gorgan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Gorgan, Iran.
4 Assistant Professor, Department of Physical education, Islamshahr branch, Islamic Azad University, Islamshahr, iran.
Background: Previous studies have shown that peers play an important role in the participation of children in physical activities. Nevertheless, peers’ effects on physical activity participation of children with ADHD have been rarely examined. Thus, this study aimed to examine the effects of peer acceptance on the participation of children with ADHD in physical activity with a consideration of physical self-efficacy as a mediator.
Method: In this study, we followed the descriptive-correlational method. The participants were 92 children with ADHD aged 9 to 12 years old who attended a special school for children with ADHD. Peer acceptance, physical activity, and self-efficacy were measured by the use of standard questionnaires. Data was analyzed using Structural Equation Modeling (SEM).
Results: Overall, the level of physical activity in children with ADHD was very low (0.98 out of 7). Peer acceptance positively influenced physical activity (T=7.769) and physical self-efficacy (T=6.967). Moreover, physical self-efficacy significantly mediated the association between peer acceptance and physical activity (P<0.001).
Conclusion: Our findings indicate that it is necessary to adopt appropriate strategies to increase the level of physical activity among children with ADHD. Moreover, peers play an important role in the participation of children with ADHD in physical activity and physical self-efficacy can be considered as a plausible mediator in this relationship
- Basterfield L, Burn NL, Galna B, Karoblyte G, Weston KL. The association between physical fitness, sports club participation and body mass index on health-related quality of life in primary school children from a socioeconomically deprived area of England. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2021; 24: 101557.
- Dana A, Christodoulides E. The Effects of a Period of Selected Physical Activity on Improving Manipulative and Locomotors Skills of Children with Neuropsychological Learning Disabilities. Journal of Rehabilitation Sciences and Research. 2020; 7(1): 25-30.
- Lahart I, Darcy P, Gidlow C, Calogiuri G. The Effects of Green Exercise on Physical and Mental Wellbeing: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health. 2019; 16(8): 1352.
- Mohammad Gholinejad P, Hojjati H, Ghorbani S. The Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Body Composition and Muscle Strength of Female Students at Elementary Schools of Ali Abad Katoul in 2018. International Journal of School Health, 2019; 6(4): 27-33.
- Schwartz J, Rhodes R, Bredin S, Oh P, Warburton D. Effectiveness of Approaches to Increase Physical Activity Behavior to Prevent Chronic Disease in Adults: A Brief Commentary. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2019; 8(3): 295.
- Rezende LFMd, Rodrigues Lopes M, Rey-López JP, Matsudo VKR, Luiz OC. Sedentary Behavior and Health Outcomes: An Overview of Systematic Reviews. PLOS ONE. 2014; 9(8): e105620.
- Wafa SW, Shahril MR, Ahmad AB, Zainuddin LR, Ismail KF, Aung MM, Mohd Yusoff NA. Association between physical activity and health-related quality of life in children: a cross-sectional study. Health & Quality of Life Outcomes. 2016; 4: 71.
- Zhang X, Tan SS, Franse CB, Alhambra-Borrás T, Verma A, Williams G, van Grieken A, Raat H. Longitudinal association between physical activity and health-related quality of life among community-dwelling older adults: a longitudinal study of Urban Health Centers Europe (UHCE). BMC Geriatrics. 2021; 21(1): 521.
- Hoare E, Stavreski B, Jennings GL, Kingwell BA. Exploring Motivation and Barriers to Physical Activity among Active and Inactive Australian Adults. Sports. 2017; 5(3): 47-54.
- Jago R, Salway R, Lawlor DA, Emma-Collison L, Heron J, Thompson JL, Sebir SJ. Profiles of Children’s Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior between Age 6 and 9: A Latent Profile and Transition Analysis. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2018; 15(103): 1-12.
- Baddou I, Hamdouchi AE, Harchaoui IE, Benjeddou K, Saeid N, Elmzibri M, Kari KE, Aguenaou H. Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Sedentary Time Among Children and Adolescents in Morocco: A Cross Sectional Study. Biomed Research International. 2018; 8949757.
- Sallis JF, Bull F, Guthold R, Heath GW, Inoue S, Kelly P, Oyeyemi AL, Perez LG, Richards J, Hallal PC, Lancet Physical Activity Series 2 Executive Committee. Progress in physical activity over the Olympic quadrennium. Lancet. 2016; 388: 1325-1336.
- Hosseini FB, Ghorbani S, Reza Shirazi R. Effects of Perceived Autonomy Support in the Physical Education on Basic Psychological Needs Satisfaction, Intrinsic Motivation and Intention to Physical Activity in High-School Students. International Journal of School Health. 2020; 7(4): 39-46.
- Ghorbani S, Afshari M, Eckelt M, Dana A, Bund A. Associations between Physical Activity and Mental Health in Iranian Adolescents during the COVID-19 Pandemic: An Accelerometer-Based Study. Children. 2021; 8(11): 1022.
- Arnold LE, Hodgkins P, Kahle J, Madhoo M, Kewley G. Long-Term Outcomes of ADHD: Academic Achievement and Performance. Journal of Attention Disorders. 2020; 24(1):73-85.
- Farhangnia S, Hassanzadeh R, Ghorbani S. Handwriting Performance of Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: The Role of Visual-Motor Integration. International Journal of Pediatrics, 2020; 8(11): 12317-12326.
- Sabzi, A., Dana, A., Salehian, M., Shaygan Yekta, H. (2021). The Effect of Water Treadmill Exercise on Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. International Journal of Pediatrics, 9(6), 13671-13681.
- Goulardins JB, Marques JCB, DeOliveira JA. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Motor Impairment: A Critical Review. Perceptual & Motor Skills. 2017; 124(2): 425-40.
- Ghorbani S, Dana A, Christodoulides E. Effects of external focus of attention on learning static balance among girls with ADHD. Biomedical Human Kinetics. 2020; 12(1): 69-74.
- Eskandari Nejad M, Mobayen F, Dana A. The effect of basketball training on ADHD children's learning skills. Research Journal of Sport Sciences. 2015; 3(6): 163-167.
- Gallego-Méndez J, Perez-Gomez J, Calzada-Rodríguez JI, Denche-Zamorano ÁM, Mendoza-Muñoz M, Carlos-Vivas J, Garcia-Gordillo MÁ, Adsuar JC. Relationship between Health-Related Quality of Life and Physical Activity in Children with Hyperactivity. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health. 2020; 17(8): 2804.
- Li R, Liang X, Liu F, Zhou Z, Zhang Z, Lu Y, Wang P, Yang B. Mediating Effect of Motor Competence on the Relationship between Physical Activity and Quality of Life in Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Biomed Research International. 2021; 24: 4814250.
- Chung SJ, Ersig A, McCarthy AM. The Influence of Peers on Diet and Exercise among Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2017; 36: 44-56.
- Muñoz-Hurtado J. The Role of Teachers on Students´ Peer Groups Relations: A Review on Their Influence on School Engagement and Academic Achievement. Rev Interdiscip Filosof Psicol. 2018; 13(42),30-43.
- Duncan SC, Strycker LA, Chaumeton NR. Personal, family, and peer correlates of general and sport physical activity among African American, Latino, and white girls. Journal of Health Disparities Research & Practice. 2015; 8(2): 12-28.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological Review. 1977; 84(2): 191-215.
- Cox A, Duncheon N, McDavid L. Peers and Teachers as Sources of Relatedness Perceptions,
Motivation, and Affective Responses in Physical Education. Research Quarterly for Sport & Exercise. 2009; 80(4): 765-773.
- Liang Y, Lau PWC, Huang WYJ, Maddison R, Baranowski T. Validity and reliability of questionnaires measuring physical activity self-efficacy, enjoyment, social support among Hong Kong Chinese children. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2014; 1: 48-52.
- Haidar A, Ranjit N, Archer N, Hoelscher DM. Parental and Peer Social Support is Associated with Healthier Physical Activity Behaviors in Adolescents: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of Texas School Physical Activity and Nutrition (TX SPAN) Data. BMC Public Health. 2019; 19(1): 640-649.
- Fiedler J, Eckert T, Burchartz A, Will A, Wunsch K. Comparison of Self-Reported and Device-Based Measured Physical Activity Using Measures of Stability, Reliability, and Validity in Adults and Children. Sensors. 2021; 21(8):2672.