Document Type : original article
Surgical Oncology Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Namazi hospital, shiraz university of medical science
mashhaduniversity of medicalsciences
Mashhad University of medical sciences
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Background: Testicular adrenal rest tumors (TARTs) are an important complication in patients with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH). Ultrasonography is the diagnostic modality of choice. In this study we examined the possibility of sonographic classification of TARTs in the Reporting and Data Systems (RADS) imaging format.
Methods: 35 male patients with the diagnosis of congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21 hydroxylase deficiency were evaluated.
Results: 19 patients had one or more sonographic findings of TARTs. No significant relation was found between 17 Hydroxyprogesterone (17 OH p), ACTH and androstenedione levels in patients with and without TARTs. Five sonographic patterns for testicular lesions were found. The five-stage classification of sonographic findings of TARTs is matched with histological classifications.
Conclusion: This classification system will allow clinicians to perform more accurate approaches. In general, TARTS should be considered in male patients with CAH. Sonography is a good imaging modality for the diagnosis of TARTs. TART-RADS imaging of lesions will allow clinicians to develop more accurate and appropriate approaches
- Verhees M J M, Kamphuis-Van Ulzen K, Hermus A R M M, Stikkelbroeck N M M L, Mooij C F, Claahsen-van der Grinten H L . Testicular Adrenal Rest tumor in boys and young adults with congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. J Urol. 2018; 199(5):1357-1358. doi: 10.1016 / j.juro. 2017. 11.122.
- Yu L, Chen P, Zhu W, Sun J, Li S. Case Report:clinical experience of bilateral giant pediatric Testicular adrenal rest tumors with 3 Beta-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase-2 family history. BMC Pediatr. 2021 Sep 15; 21(1):405. doi: 10.1186/s12887-021-02883-x. PMID: 34526000; PMCID: PMC8440148.
- Norooziasl, S., afshar, Z., Ghaemi, N., Vakili, R., Alamdaran, S., Abbasi Shaye, Z., Eshraghi, P., Moazzen, N. Prevalence of Testicular Adrenal Rest Tumor and Factors Associated with its Development in 6 Months to 18 Years-old Patients with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. International Journal of Pediatrics, 2021; 9(12): 15022-15028. doi: 10.22038/ijp.2021.57453.4511.
- Yu MK, Jung MK, Kim KE, Kwon AR, Chae HW, Kim DH, Kim HS. Clinical manifestations of testicular Adrenal Rest tumor in males with congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. Ann Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 20(3):155-61. doi: 10.6065/apem.2015.20.3.155.
- Seilanian-Toosi, F., Rezaei-Delouei, H., Nahidi, M., Sadeghi Ardakani, F., Aminzade, B. Diagnostic Challenges of an Extremely Large Testicular Adrenal Rest Tumor - a Case Report. International Journal of Pediatrics, 2021; 9(9): 14393-14399
- Waad M. Al-Ghamdi, Mohamed A. Shazly and Abdulmoein E. Al-Agha. Testicular adrenal rest tumors in children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Saudi Medical Journal September 2021, 42 (9) 986-993.
- Barwick TD, Malhotra A, Webb JA, Savage MO, Reznek RH. Embryology of the adrenal glands and its relevance to diagnostic imaging. Clin Radiol 2005; 60:953-959.
- Claahsen-van der Grinten HL, Otten BJ, Hermus AR, Sweep FC, Hulsbergen-van de Kaa CA. Testicular adrenal rest tumors in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia can cause severe testicular damage. Fertil Steril 2008; 89:597-601
- Huneif M, Al Mutairi M, AlHazmy Z, AlOsaimi F, AlShoomi A, AlGhofely M, AlSaheel A. Screening for testicular adrenal rest tumors among children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia at King Fahad Medical City, Saudi Arabia. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2022; 35(1): 49-54
- Ozel SK, Kazez A, Akpolat N. Presence of ectopic adrenocortical tissues in inguinoscrotal region suggests an association with undescended testis. Pediatr Surg Int 2007; 23:171-175.
- Mendez R, Tellado MG, Somoza I, Liras J, Sanchez-Abuin A, Pais E, Vela D. Ectopic adrenal tissue in the spermatic cord in pediatric patients: surgical implications. Int Braz J Urol 2006; 32:202-207
- Mendes-dos-Santos, CT, Martins, DL, Guerra-Júnior, G, Baptista, MTM, de-Mello, MP, de Oliveira, LC, Morcillo AM, Lemos-Marini SHV. Prevalence of testicular adrenal rest tumor and factors associated with its development in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Horm Res Paediatr 2018; 90:161–8.
- Tajima T, Funakoshi A, Ikeda Y, Hachitanda Y, Yamaguchi M, Yokota M, Yabuuchi H, Satoh T, Koga M. Nonfunctioning adrenal rest tumor of the liver: radiologic appearance. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2001; 25:98-101.
- Stikkelbroeck NM, Otten BJ, Pasic A, Jager GJ, Sweep CG, Noordam K, Hermus AR. High prevalence of testicular adrenal rest tumors, impaired spermatogenesis, and Leydig cell failure in adolescent and adult males with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86:5721-5728.
- Engels M., Span P.N., Van Herwaarden A. E., Sweep F. C. G. J., Stikkelbroeck N. M. M. L., Claahsen-van der Grinten H. L., “Testicular adrenal rest tumors: current insights on prevalence, characteristics, origin, and treatment,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 973–987, 2019.
- Kocova M., Janevska V., Anastasovska V., “Testicular adrenal rest tumors in boys with 21-hydroxylase deficiency, timely diagnosis and follow-up,” Endocrine Connections, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 544–552, 2018.
- Vanzulli A, DelMaschio A, Paesano P, Braggion F, Livieri C, Angeli E, Tomasi G, Gatti C, Severi F, Chiumello G. Testicular masses in association with adrenogenital syndrome: US findings. Radiology 1992; 183:425–429.
- Corcione B, Renzulli M, Marasco G, Baronio F, Gambineri A, Ricciardi D, Ortolano R, Farina D, Gaudiano C, Cassio A, Pagotto U. Prevalence and ultrasound patterns of testicular adrenal rest tumors in adults with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Translational Andrology and Urology. 2021 Feb; 10(2):562.
- Cabrera M, Vogiatzi MG, New MI. High frequency of gonadal abnormalities in adult males with classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Proceedings of the 81st Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society, San Diego, CA, 1999; p 308 (P2–128).
- Yılmaz R, Şahin D, Aghayev A, Erol O B, Poyrazoğlu Ş, Saka N, Yekeler E. Sonography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Characteristics of Testicular Adrenal Rest Tumors. Pol J Radiol, 2017; 82: 583-588.
- Reisch N, Rottenkolber M, Greifenstein A, Krone N, Schmidt H, Reincke M, Schwarz HP, Beuschlein F. Testicular adrenal rest tumors develop independently of long-term disease control: a longitudinal analysis of 50 adult men with congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to classic 21-hydroxylase deficiency. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013; 98: E1820–E1826.
- Reisch N, Scherr M, Flade L, Bidlingmaier M, Schwarz HP, Müller-Lisse U, Reincke M, Quinkler M, Beuschlein F. Total adrenal volume but not testicular adrenal rest tumor volume is associated with hormonal control in patients with 21-hydroxylase deficiency. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2010; 95: 2065–2072.
- Wang Z, Yang Z, Wang W, Chen LD, Huang Y, Li W, Liu JY, Xie XY, Lu MD, Lin MX. Diagnosis of testicular adrenal rest tumors on ultrasound: a retrospective study of 15 cases report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94(36):e1471.
- Ma L, Xia Y, Wang L, Liu R, Huang X, Ye T, Zhang L, Zhu O, Li J, Jiang Y. Sonographic features of the testicular adrenal rests tumors in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia: a single center experience and literature review. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2019; 14(1):242. doi: 10.1186/s13023-019-1231-1.
- Delfino M, Elia J, Imbrogno N, Argese N, Mazzilli R, Toscano V, Mazzilli F. Testicular adrenal rest tumors in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia: prevalence and sonographic, hormonal, and seminal characteristics. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 2012; 31(3):383.
- Mansoor NM, Huang DY, Sidhu PS. Multiparametric ultrasound imaging characteristics of multiple testicular adrenal rest tumors in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Ultrasound. 2021 Feb 10:1742271X21989081.
- Deshpande SS, Shetty D, Saifi S. Sonographic appearance of testicular adrenal rest tumor in a patient with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Pol J Radiol. 2017; 82:526.
- Ma, L., Xia, Y., Wang, L. Liu R, Huang X, Ye T, Zhang L, Zhu Q, Li J, Jiang Y. Sonographic features of the testicular adrenal rests tumors in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia: a single-center experience and literature review. Orphanet J Rare Dis 14, 242 (2019).
- Dogra V, Nathan J, Bhatt S: Sonographic appearance of testicular adrenal rest tissue in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. J Ultrasound Med. 2004; 23: 979–81.
- Aycan Z, Bas VN, Cetinkaya S, Yılmaz Ağladıoğlu S, Tiryaki T. Prevalence and long-term follow-up outcomes of testicular adrenal rest tumors in children and adolescent males with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2013; 78(5):667-72. doi: 10.1111/cen.12033.
- Çakir ED, Mutlu F Ş, Eren E, Paşa A Ö, Sağlam H, Tarım Ö: Testicular Adrenal Rest Tumors in Patients with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2012; 4(2):94-100.