Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran.
Background: Atopic Dermatitis (AD) is the most common chronic skin disease, which can lead to some complications in adulthood. According to the possibility that some environmental factors like vitamin D are effective in AD, this study was conducted to clarify the effect of serum level of vitamin D on it.
Methods: This study was performed as a case-control study, in Hamadan University of Medical Science, comparing the serum level of vitamin D in 20 children with and 20 children without atopic dermatitis. Atopic dermatitis was confirmed by standard criteria of Hanfin Verajka and the severity score was assessed using the SCORAD scoring system. Data was analyzed using SPSS software.
Results: In this study, no significant differences were found in age, gender and place of residence between two groups. And, there was no significant difference in serum level of vitamin D between two groups (P-value: 0.394) but a significant, direct relationship was observed between disease severity and serum levels of vitamin D (P-value: 0.0431).
Conclusion: The results of this study showed that vitamin D deficiency alone may not trigger atopic dermatitis, but it can worsen the disease, so it seems that the serum level of vitamin D in children with atopic dermatitis should be checked and in case of deficiency, a supplement should be prescribed.
- Paller A, Jaworski JC, Simpson EL, Boguniewicz M, Russell JJ, Block JK, Tofte S, Dunn JD, Feldman SR, Clark AR, Schwartz G, Eichenfield LF. Major Comorbidities of Atopic Dermatitis: Beyond Allergic Disorders. American journal of clinical dermatology. 2018; 19(6):821-38.
- Giavina-Bianchi M, Giavina-Bianchi P. Systemic Treatment for Severe Atopic Dermatitis. Archivum immunologiae et therapiae experimentalis. 2019; 67(2):69-78.
- Drucker AM, Ellis A, Jabbar-Lopez Z, Yiu ZZN, Arents BWM, Burton T, Burton T, Spuls PI, Küster D, Schmitt J, Flohr C. Systemic immunomodulatory treatments for atopic dermatitis: protocol for a systematic review with network meta-analysis. BMJ open. 2018; 8(8):e023061.
- Page SS, Weston S, Loh R. Atopic dermatitis in children. Australian family physician. 2016; 45(5):293-6.
- Nutten S. Atopic dermatitis: global epidemiology and risk factors. Annals of nutrition and metabolism. 2015; 66(Suppl. 1):8-16.
- Baek JH, Shin YH, Chung IH, Kim HJ, Yoo E-G, Yoon JW, Yoon JW, Jee HM, Chang YE, Han MY. The link between serum vitamin D level, sensitization to food allergens, and the severity of atopic dermatitis in infancy. The Journal of pediatrics. 2014; 165(4):849-54. e1.
- Landro AD, Cazzaniga S, Parazzini F, Ingordo V, Cusano F, Atzori L, Cutrì FT, Musumeci ML, Zinetti C, Pezzarossa E, Bettoli V, Caproni M, Scocco GL, Bonci A, Bencini P, Naldi L, GISED Acne Study Group. Family history, body mass index, selected dietary factors, menstrual history, and risk of moderate to severe acne in adolescents and young adults. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2012; 67(6):1129-35.
- Medrano M, Carrillo-Cruz E, Montero I, Perez-Simon JA. Vitamin D: effect on haematopoiesis and immune system and clinical applications. International journal of molecular sciences. 2018; 19(9):2663.
- Cantorna MT. Why do T cells express the vitamin D receptor? Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2011; 1217:77.
- Oh J, Riek AE, Darwech I, Funai K, Shao J, Chin K, Sierra OL, Carmeliet G, Ostlund RE, Mizrachia CB. Deletion of macrophage Vitamin D receptor promotes insulin resistance and monocyte cholesterol transport to accelerate atherosclerosis in mice. Cell reports. 2015; 10(11):1872-86.
- Liang Y, Chang C, Lu Q. The genetics and epigenetics of atopic dermatitis—filaggrin and other polymorphisms. Clinical reviews in allergy & immunology. 2016; 51(3):315-28.
- Sharma S, Kaur T, Malhotra SK, Rai J, Chaudhari S. Correlation of vitamin D3 levels and SCORAD index in atopic dermatitis: a case control study. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. 2017; 11(7):WC01.
- Bringhurst FR. Bone and mineral metabolism in health and disease. Harrison's principles of internal medicine. 2008:2365-77.
- Su O, Bahalı AG, Demir AD, Ozkaya DB, Uzuner S, Dizman D, Onsun N. The relationship between severity of disease and vitamin D levels in children with atopic dermatitis. Postępy dermatologii i alergologii. 2017; 34(3):224-7.
- Cheon BR, Shin JE, Kim YJ, Shim JW, Kim DS, Jung HL, Park MS, Shim JY. Relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and interleukin-31 levels, and the severity of atopic dermatitis in children. Korean journal of pediatrics. 2015; 58(3):96-101.
- Hattangdi-Haridas SR, Lanham-New SA, Wong WHS, Ho MHK, Darling AL. Vitamin D deficiency and effects of vitamin D supplementation on disease severity in patients with atopic dermatitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis in adults and children. Nutrients. 2019; 11(8):1854.
- Navarro-Triviño F, Arias-Santiago S, Gilaberte-Calzada Y. Vitamin D and the skin: A review for dermatologists. Actas Dermo-Sifiliográficas (English Edition). 2019; 110(4):262-72.
- Dogru M. Is vitamin D level associated with the natural course of atopic dermatitis? Allergologia etimmunopathologia. 2018; 46(6):546-51.
- Lara-Corrales I, Huang CM, Parkin PC, Rubio-Gomez GA, Posso-De Los Rios CJ, Maguire J, Pope E. Vitamin D level and supplementation in pediatric atopic dermatitis: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of cutaneous medicine and surgery. 2019; 23(1):44-9.
- Wang SS, Hon KL, Kong APs, Pong HNh, Wong GWk, Leung TF. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with diagnosis and severity of childhood atopic dermatitis. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 2014; 25(1):30-5.
- Han TY, Kong TS, Kim MH, Chae JD, Lee JHK, Son S-J. Vitamin D status and its association with the SCORAD score and serum LL-37 level in Korean adults and children with atopic dermatitis. Annals of dermatology. 2015; 27(1):10-4.
- Mansour NO, Mohamed AA, Hussein M, Eldemiry E, Daifalla A, Hassanin S, Nassar N, Ghaith D, Salah EM. The impact of vitamin D supplementation as an adjuvant therapy on clinical outcomes in patients with severe atopic dermatitis: A randomized controlled trial. Pharmacology Research & Perspectives. 2020; 8(6):e00679.
- Camargo Jr CA, Ganmaa D, Sidbury R, Erdenedelger K, Radnaakhand N, Khandsuren B. Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation for winter-related atopic dermatitis in children. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2014 Oct 1; 134(4):831-5.
- Amestejani M, Salehi BS, Vasigh M, Sobhkhiz A, Karami M, Alinia H, Kamrava SK, Shamspour N, Ghalehbaghi B, Behzadi AH. Vitamin D supplementation in the treatment of atopic dermatitis: a clinical trial study. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology trial study. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2012 Mar 1; 11(3).
- Kanda N, Hoashi T, Saeki H. Nutrition and atopic dermatitis. Journal of Nippon Medical School. 2021; 88(3):171-7.