Document Type : case report
Department of infectious Disease, pediatric center of Excellence, children's Medical center, Tehran University of medical sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Assistant professor and pediatrician/pediatric center of excellence/children&amp;amp;rsquo;s medical center/Tehran university of medical science/Tehran/IRAN
Professor of Pediatric Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics, Children&#039;s Medical Center, Pediatrics Center of Excellence Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Pediatric Respiratory and Sleep Medicine Research Center, Children's Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Pediatric, Faculty of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Molecular Pathology and Cytogenetic Ward, Pathology Department, Children Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Pediatric Assistant, children’s Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
Anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive (ALK+) large T-cell lymphoma (ALCL) is a rare type of lymphoma and it involves lymph nodes, but in some rare situations, it involves lungs, firstly. There are very rare cases in the world that have this type of disorder complicated with tuberculosis (TB). In this report, we present a boy who was referred to our hospital with TB and ALK+ALCL.
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J. WHO classification of tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. 4th ed. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer: 2008.
- Morris SW, Kirstein MN, Valentine MB, Dittmer KG, Shapiro DN, Saltman DL, Look AT. Fusion of a kinase gene, ALK, to a nucleolar protein gene, NPM, in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Science. 1994; 263(5151):1281–1284.
- Brugieres L, Deley MC, Pacquement H, Meguerian-Bedoyan Z, Terrier-Lacombe MJ, Robert A, Pondarré C, Leverger G, Devalck C, Rodary C, Delsol G, Hartmann O. CD30 (+) anaplastic large‐cell lymphoma in children: analysis of 82 patients enrolled in two consecutive studies of the French society of pediatric oncology. Blood. 1998; 92:3591‐3598.
- Benharroch D, Meguerian‐Bedoyan Z, Lamant L, Amin C, Brugières L, Terrier-Lacombe MJ, Haralambieva E, Pulford K, Pileri S, Morris SW, Mason DY, Delsol G. ALK‐positive lymphoma: a single disease with a broad spectrum of morphology. Blood. 1998; 91:2076‐2084.
- Dres M, Demoule A, Schmidt M, Similowski T. Tuberculosis hiding a non-Hodgkin lymphoma “there may be more to this than meets the eye” Respir Med Case Rep. 2012; 7:15–6.
- Sachdev R, Duggal R, Agrawal K, Goel S. Coexistent nodal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with extrapulmonary tuberculosis: A rare case. Int J Surg Pathol. 2016; 24:70–2.
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Jaffe ES. WHO Classification of Tumors of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. Fourth Edition, 2008.
- Savage KJ, Harris NL, Vose JM, Ullrich F, Jaffe ES, Connors JM, Rimsza L, Pileri SA, Chhanabhai M, Gascoyne RD, Armitage JO, Weisenburger DD, International Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Project. ALK- anaplastic large-cell lymphoma is clinically and immunophenotypically different from both ALK+ ALCL and peripheral T-cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified: report from the International Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Project. Blood 111: 5496-5504, 2008.
- Falini B, Pileri S, Zinzani PL, Carbone A, Zagonel V, Wolf-Peeters C, Verhoef G, Menestrina F, Todeschini G, Paulli M, Lazzarino M, Giardini R, Aiello A, Foss HD, Araujo I, Fizzotti M, Pelicci PG, Flenghi L, Martelli MF, Santucci A. ALK+ lymphoma: clinico-pathological findings and outcome. Blood 93: 2697-2706, 1999.
- Suzuki R, Kagami Y, Takeuchi K, Kami M, Okamoto M, Ichinohasama R, Mori N, Kojima M, Yoshino T, Yamabe H, Shiota M, Mori S, Ogura M, Hamajima N, Seto M, Suchi T, Morishima Y, Nakamura S. Prognostic significance of CD56 expression for ALK-positive and ALK-negative anaplastic large-cell lymphoma of T/null cell phenotype. Blood 96: 2993-3000, 2000.
- Schmitz N, Trumper L, Ziepert M, Nickelsen M, Ho AD, Metzner B, Peter N, Loeffler M, Rosenwald A, Pfreundschuh M. Treatment and prognosis of mature T-cell and NK-cell lymphoma: an analysis of patients with T-cell lymphoma treated in studies of the German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 116: 3418-3425, 2010.
- Benharroch D, Meguerian-Bedoyan Z, Lamant L, Amin C, Brugieres L, Terrier-Lacombe MJ, Haralambieva E, Pulford K, Pileri S, Morris SW, Mason DY, Delsol G. ALK-positive lymphoma: a single disease with a broad spectrum of morphology. Blood 91: 2076-2084, 1998.
- Brugieres L, Deley MC, Pacquement H, Meguerian-Bedoyan Z, Terrier-Lacombe MJ, Robert A, Pondarré C, Leverger G, Devalck C, Rodary C, Delsol G, Hartmann O. CD30 (+) anaplastic large-cell lymphoma in children: analysis of 82 patients enrolled in two consecutive studies of the French Society of Pediatric Oncology. Blood 92: 3591-3598, 1998.
- Ellin F, Landstrom J, Jerkeman M, Relander T, Real-world data on prognostic factors and treatment in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: a study from the Swedish Lymphoma Registry. Blood 124: 1570-1577, 2014.
- Castillo JJ, Beltran BE, Bibas M, Bower M, Collins JA, Cwynarski K, Diez-Martin JL, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri F, Horwitz SM, Montoto S, Pantanowitz L, Ribera JM, Vose JM. Prognostic factors in patients with HIV-associated peripheral T-cell lymphoma: a multicenter study. Am J Hematol. 2011; 86:256–261.
- Perez K, Castillo J, Dezube BJ, Pantanowitz L. Human Immunodeficiency Virus-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2010; 51:430–8.
- WHO. Global tuberculosis report 2016. Geneva: WHO; 2016.
- Puvaneswaran B, Shoba B. Misdiagnosis of tuberculosis in patients with lymphoma. S Afr Med J. 2012; 103(1):32–3.
- Wu CY, Hu HY, Pu CY, Huang N, Shen HC, Li CP, Chou YJ. Pulmonary tuberculosis increases the risk of lung cancer: a population-based cohort study. Cancer. 2011; 117(3):618–24.
- Owattanapanich W, Phoompoung P, Sukpanichnant S. “ALK-positive anaplastic large cell lymphoma undiagnosed in a patient with tuberculosis: a case report and review of the literature.” Journal of medical case reports vol. 11, 1 132. 11 May. 2017.
- Tsuyama N, Sakamoto K, Sakata S, Dobashi A, Takeuchi K. “Anaplastic large cell lymphoma: pathology, genetics, and clinical aspects.” Journal of clinical and experimental hematopathology, JCEH vol. 57, 3 (2017): 120-142.
- Falini B, Bigerna B, Fizzotti M, Pulford K, Pileri SA, Delsol G, Carbone A, Paulli M, Magrini U, Menestrina F, Giardini R, Pilotti S, Mezzelani A, Ugolini B, Billi M, Pucciarini A, Pacini R, Pelicci PG, Flenghi L. ALK expression defines a distinct group of T/null lymphomas (“ALK lymphomas”) with a wide morphological spectrum. Am J Pathol 153: 875-886, 1998.
- Krenacs L, Wellmann A, Sorbara L, Himmelmann AW, Bagdi E, Jaffe ES, Raffeld M. Cytotoxic cell antigen expression in anaplastic large cell lymphomas of T- and null-cell type and Hodgkin’s disease: evidence for distinct cellular origin. Blood 89: 980-989, 1997