Eye Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine Khatam Al Anbiya Hospital Mashhad University of Medical Sciences
Background: This study reports the case of an infant patient with organized vitreous hemorrhage (VH) due to hemi-central retinal vein occlusion (Hemi-CRVO) secondary to thrombocytosis.
Case report: A twenty-seven-day-old female infant with the gestational age of 30 weeks and 2040 grams weight at the time of birth and the history of a twenty-five-day admission in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) due to idiopathic hydrops was referred to the retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) clinic of the Khatam-al-Anbia Eye Hospital, for usual ROP screening. We found an organized VH in her left eye; so, we vitrectomized her eye. With the diagnosis of hemi-CRVO due to thrombocytosis, she is under observation.
Conclusion: In this report, thrombocytosis showed to be a cause of hemi-CRVO; and the patient’s laboratory test review is important in such cases
- AlHarkan DH, Kahtani ES, Gikandi PW, Abu El-Asrar AM. Vitreous hemorrhage in pediatric age group. J Ophthalmol. 2014; 2014:497083. doi: 10.1155/2014/497083. Epub 2014 Nov 19. PMID: 25505975; PMCID: PMC4254071.
- Wiedmeier SE, Henry E, Sola-Visner MC, Christensen RD. Platelet reference ranges for neonates, defined using data from over 47 000 patients in a multihospital healthcare system. J Perinatol 2009; 29: 130–136.
- International Committee for the Classification of Retinopathy of Prematurity. The International Classification of Retinopathy of Prematurity revisited. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005 Jul; 123(7):991-9. doi: 10.1001/archopht.123.7.991. PMID: 16009843.
- Naik AU, Rishi E, Rishi P. Pediatric vitreous hemorrhage: A narrative review. Indian journal of ophthalmology. 2019 Jun; 67(6):732.
- Rossin EJ, Vavvas DG. Bilateral Hemorrhages in a Premature Infant with Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: An Underrecognized Etiology. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. 2020 Oct 1; 51(10):596-600.
- Khurram D, Ali SM, Kozak I. Bilateral acute retinal necrosis in premature newborn with skin, eye, and mouth infection presenting with vitreous and subretinal hemorrhage. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020 Sep; 68(9):2009.
- Simon J, Sood S, Yoon MK, Kaw P, Zobal-Ratner J, Archer S, Gardiner JA, Hutchinson A, Marcotty A, Noel LP, Olsen TW. Vitrectomy for dense vitreous hemorrhage in infancy. Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus. 2005 Jan 1; 42(1):18-22.
- Theophanous C, Schechet S, Rodriguez SH, Blair M. Bilateral vitreous hemorrhage following bilateral intravitreal injections of bevacizumab in an infant with retinopathy of prematurity. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. 2018 Nov 1; 49(11):893-6.
- Phalak D, Rani PK, Balakrishnan D, Jalali S. Central retinal vein obstruction in a neonate occurring during laser photocoagulation treatment for retinopathy of prematurity. Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus. 2014 Dec 1; 51(6):e72-4.
- Del Rey Hurtado de Mendoza B, Esponera CB, Izquierdo Renau M, Iglesias Platas I. Asymptomatic late thrombocytosis is a common finding in very preterm infants even in the absence of erythropoietin treatment. Journal of International Medical Research. 2019 Apr; 47(4):1504-11.