Document Type : original article
Department of Pediatrics, Clinical Research Development Unit, Hajar Hospital, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran.
Department of Pediatrics, Clinical Research Development Unit ,Hajar Hospital, Shahrekord University of Medical Science, Shahrekord, Iran.
Background: Although celiac disease is considered one of the preconditions and predisposing factors for chronic constipation in children, accurate statistics on the prevalence of the celiac disease among Iranian children with chronic functional constipation is not available. The present study aimed to determine the prevalence of celiac disease in children suffering from chronic constipation.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted on 360 children over one year of age with chronic constipation. A sample of venous blood was extracted from all subjects and the serologic studies of total IgA, IgA TTG, and IgG TTG were performed using the ELISA technique. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopic biopsy was also scheduled for those children with the positive IgA TTG.
Results: Two patients with raised levels of both IgA and IgA TTG antibodies were assessed by endoscopy, and a definitive diagnosis of celiac disease was confirmed in one of them leading to the overall prevalence of 0.27% for celiac disease among children with chronic constipation.
Conclusion: In total, 0.27% of children with chronic constipation in the area under investigation suffer from celiac disease.
- Hasosah M. Chronic Refractory Constipation in Children: Think Beyond Stools. Glob Pediatr Health. 2021 Sep 30; 8:2333794X211048739. doi: 10.1177/2333794X211048739.
- Torres A, González M. Chronic constipation. Rev Chil Pediatr. 2015 Jul-Aug; 86(4):299-304. doi: 10.1016/j.rchipe.2015.06.017.
- Ambartsumyan L, Rodriguez L. Gastrointestinal motility disorders in children. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2014 Jan; 10(1):16-26.
- Agarwal J. Chronic constipation. Indian J Pediatr. 2013 Dec; 80(12):1021-5. doi: 10.1007/s12098-013-1133-5.
- Dinning PG, Di Lorenzo C. Colonic dysmotility in constipation. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2011 Feb; 25(1):89-101. doi: 10.1016/j.bpg.2010.12.006.
- Sahin Y. Celiac disease in children: A review of the literature. World J Clin Pediatr. 2021 Jul 9; 10(4):53-71. doi: 10.5409/wjcp.v10.i4.53.
- Catassi GN, Pulvirenti A, Monachesi C, Catassi C, Lionetti E. Diagnostic Accuracy of IgA Anti-Transglutaminase and IgG Anti-Deamidated Gliadin for Diagnosis of Celiac Disease in Children under Two Years of Age: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Nutrients. 2021 Dec 21; 14(1):7. doi: 10.3390/nu14010007.
- Horton RK, Hagen CE, Snyder MR. Pediatric Celiac Disease: A Review of Diagnostic Testing and Guideline Recommendations. J Appl Lab Med. 2022 Jan 5; 7(1):294-304. doi: 10.1093/jalm/jfab143.
- Losurdo G, Di Leo M, Santamato E, Arena M, Rendina M, Luigiano C, Ierardi E, Di Leo A. Serologic diagnosis of celiac disease: May it be suitable for adults? World J Gastroenterol. 2021 Nov 14; 27(42):7233-7239. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v27.i42.7233.
- Jimenez J, Loveridge-Lenza B, Horvath K. Celiac Disease in Children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2021 Dec; 68(6):1205-1219.
- Tarar ZI, Zafar MU, Farooq U, Basar O, Tahan V, Daglilar E. The Progression of Celiac Disease, Diagnostic Modalities, and Treatment Options. J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep. 2021 Jan-Dec; 9:23247096211053702.
- Gandini A, Gededzha MP, De Maayer T, Barrow P, Mayne E. Diagnosing coeliac disease: A literature review. Hum Immunol. 2021 Dec; 82(12):930-936.
- Jalilian M, Jalali R. Prevalence of celiac disease in children with type 1 diabetes: A review. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2021 May-Jun; 15(3):969-974.
- Ben Houmich T, Admou B. Celiac disease: Understandings in diagnostic, nutritional, and medicinal aspects. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2021 Jan-Dec; 35:20587384211008709.
- Silvester JA, Therrien A, Kelly CP. Celiac Disease: Fallacies and Facts. Am J Gastroenterol. 2021 Jun 1; 116(6):1148-1155.
- Beattie RM, Batra A. Coeliac disease: making the diagnosis. Arch Dis Child. 2021 Mar 9: archdischild-2020-321361.
- Bishop J, Ravikumara M. Coeliac disease in childhood: An overview. J Paediatr Child Health. 2020 Nov; 56(11):1685-1693.
- Longstreth, G. F., Thompson, W. G., Chey, W. D., Houghton, L. A., Mearin, F., & Spiller, R. C. 2006. Functional bowel disorders. Gastroenterology, 130, 1480-1491.
- Akman S, Şahaloğlu Ö, Dalkan C, Bahçeciler NN, Arıkan Ç. Is celiac disease misdiagnosed in children with functional constipation? Turk J Gastroenterol. 2018 Mar; 29(2):210-214.
- Al-Shamaa S, Tan A. Considerations for future research on celiac disease in children with functional constipation. J Pediatr. 2021 May; 232:312.
- Fifi AC, Velasco-Benitez C, Saps M. Celiac Disease in Children with Functional Constipation: A School-Based Multicity Study. J Pediatr. 2020 Dec; 227:77-80. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.07.052. Epub 2020 Jul 19.
- Dehghani SM, Ehsaei Z, Honar N, Javaherizadeh H. Frequency of Celiac Disease In Children With Chronic Functional Constipation in Shiraz-Iran. Middle East J Dig Dis. 2015 Jul; 7:166-9.
- Ehsani-Ardakani MJ, Rostami Nejad M, Villanacci V, Volta U, Manenti S, Caio G, Giovenali P, Becheanu G, Diculescu M, Pellegrino S, Magazzù G, Casella G, Di Bella C, Decarli N, Biancalani M, Bassotti G, Hogg-Kollars S, Zali MR, Rostami K. Gastrointestinal and non-gastrointestinal presentation in patients with celiac disease. Arch Iran Med. 2013 Feb; 16(2):78-82.
- Pelleboer RAA, Janssen RLH, Deckers-Kocken JM, Wouters E, Nissen AC, Bolz WEA, Ten WETA, Feen CVD, Oosterhuis KJ, Rövekamp MH, Nikkels PGJ, Houwen RHJ. Celiac disease is overrepresented in patients with constipation. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2012; 88:173-6.
- Chogle A, Saps M. yield and cost of performing screening tests for constipation in children. Can J Gastroenterol. 2013; 27: e35-8.
- Mäki M, Mustalahti K, Kokkonen J, Kulmala P, Haapalahti M, Karttunen T, Ilonen J, Laurila K, Dahlbom I, Hansson T, Höpfl P, Knip M. Prevalence of celiac disease among children in Finland. N Engl J Med. 2003; 348(25):2517-24.
- Dehbozorgi M, Honar N, Ekramzadeh M, Saki F. Clinical manifestations and associated disorders in children with celiac disease in southern Iran. BMC Pediatr. 2020 May 27; 20(1):256. doi: 10.1186/s12887-020-02162-1.
- Mahmud F, Murray J, Kudva Y, Zinsmeister A, Dierkhising R, Lahr B. Celiac disease in type 1 diabetes mellitus in a North American Community: prevalence, serologic screening, and clinical features. Mayo Clin Proc. 2005; 80(11): 1429-34.
- Baptista ML, Koda YK, Mitsunori R, Nisihara Ioshii SO. Prevalence of celiac disease in Brazilian children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr Gastroentrol Nutr. 2005; 41(5): 621-4.