Document Type : original article
Master of Counseling and Guidance, Islamic Azad University, West Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran. email@example.com https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3212-7654
Background: Story therapy can be used as an effective method in cognitive-behavioral therapy for children. The main purpose of this study was to investigate the effectiveness of tranquillisation stories on children's psychological well-being and aggression.
Methods: This study was quasi-experimental (controlled pretest-posttest). The population of this study included preschool children with 6-7 years of age, who were registered in preschool centers in the 2nd and 3th districts of Eslamshahr in 2018-2019. The sample size included 30 individuals (15 in the experimental group and 15 in the control group) who were selected by random sampling method. Rutter's behavioral disturbances (teacher's form), Reef's psychological well-being questionnaire (1980) and storytelling method were used.
Results: The study included children with a mean age of 5.67, among whom 60% were girls and 40% boys. The results approved the significant effects of tranquillisation stories on psychological well-being (F=3.7, p=0.031) and aggression (F=39.47, p=0.018) of the studied children (p <0.005).
Conclusion: Storytelling as a non-drug method is a good way to reduce aggression and increase psychological well-being among 6-7 preschool children in Tonekabon. Therefore, it is recommended that preschool teachers use this method to help children with aggression and mental health problems.
- Beaudoin MN, Moersch M, Evare BS. The effectiveness of narrative therapy with children's social and emotional skill development: an empirical study of 813 problem-solving stories. Journal of Systemic Therapies. 2016 Sep; 35(3):42-59.
- Bobowik M, Basabe N, Páez D. The bright side of migration: Hedonic, psychological, and social well-being in immigrants in Spain. Social science research. 2015 May 1; 51:189-204.
- Dawood R. Positive Psychology and Child Mental Health; a Premature Application in School-Based Psychological Intervention? Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2014 Feb 7; 113:44-53.
- Goodwin T, Pacey K, Grace M. Childreach: Violence prevention in preschool settings. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing. 2003 Jun; 16(2):52-60.
- Liu J, Cheng H, Leung PW. The application of the preschool Child Behavior Checklist and the Caregiver–Teacher Report Form to mainland Chinese children: Syndrome structure, gender differences, country effects, and inter-informant agreement. Journal of abnormal child psychology. 2011 Feb; 39(2):251-64.
- Wright KD, Finley GA, Lee DJ, Raazi M, Sharpe D. Practices of anesthesiologists to alleviate anxiety in children and adolescents in Canada. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d'anesthésie. 2013 Nov 1; 60(11):1161-2.
- Bahmani P B. The effectiveness of story therapy on reducing aggression and increasing social skills in preschool children. Journal of Psychological Methods and Models. 2018 Feb 20; 8 (30): 205-18.
- DeSocio JE. Accessing self‐development through narrative approaches in child and adolescent psychotherapy. Journal of child and adolescent psychiatric nursing. 2005 Apr; 18(2):53-61.
- Crimmens P. Drama therapy and storymaking in special education. Jessica Kingsley Publishers; 2006 Feb 17.
- Ryan RM, Patrick H, Deci EL, Williams GC. Facilitating health behavior change and its maintenance: Interventions based on self-determination theory. The European health psychologist. 2008 Mar 1; 10(1):2-5.
- Ruf M, Schauer M, Neuner F, Catani C, Schauer E, Elbert T. Narrative exposure therapy for 7‐to 16‐year‐olds: A randomized controlled trial with traumatized refugee children. Journal of traumatic stress. 2010 Aug; 23(4):437-45.
- Embregts PJ, Didden R, Schreuder N, Huitink C, Van Nieuwenhuijzen M. Aggressive behavior in individuals with moderate to borderline intellectual disabilities who live in a residential facility: An evaluation of functional variables. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2009 Jul 1; 30(4):682-8.
- Ryff CD. Psychological well-being revisited: Advances in the science and practice of eudaimonia. Psychotherapy and psychosomatics. 2014; 83(1):10-28.
- Farhadi V, Sabzi A, Sabzi R. Effectiveness of child-centered play therapy with approach Axline on loneliness and hopelessness in children with hearing impairment. Journal of Counseling Research. 2017 Mar 10; 16(61):150-65.
- Hanney L, Kozlowska K. Healing traumatized children: Creating illustrated storybooks in family therapy. Family process. 2002 Mar; 41(1):37-65.
- Teglasi H, Rothman L. Stories a classroom-based program to reduce aggressive behavior. Journal of school psychology. 2001 Jan 1; 39(1):71-94.
- Hosseinpoor AR, Van Doorslaer E, Speybroeck N, Naghavi M, Mohammad K, Majdzadeh R, Delavar B, Jamshidi H, Vega J. Decomposing socioeconomic inequality in infant mortality in Iran. International journal of epidemiology. 2006 Oct 1; 35(5):1211-9.
- Rutter M. A children's behavior questionnaire for completion by teachers: preliminary findings. Journal of child psychology and psychiatry. 1967 May; 8(1):1-1.
- Yousefi F. Standardization of Rutter’s Questionnaire to Study the Behavioral and Emotional Problems of Elementary School Students in Shiraz. Journal of Social Sciences and Human Sciences of Shiraz University. 1998; 13(2):171-94.
- Shayeghian Z, Amiri P, Vahedi-Notash G, Karimi M, Azizi F. Validity and Reliability of the Iranian Version of the Short Form Social Well Being Scale in a General Urban Population. Iranian journal of public health. 2019 Aug; 48(8):1478.
- fallahnejad M, kazemi F, pezeshk S. Effectiveness of Visual Storytelling on the Reduction of Externalizing and Internalizing Behaviors in Children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. JOEC. 2018; 17 (3): 5-18 URL: http://joec.ir/article-1-468-fa.html
- Chegeni G, Chegeni M. Effectiveness of Storytelling on decrease of Aggression and Test Anxiety in Boys orphanage in Rasht. Educational Development of Jundishapur. 2016 Mar 1; 7 (Special Issue 95): 26-35.
- Kangaslampi S, Garoff F, Peltonen K. Narrative exposure therapy for immigrant children traumatized by war: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial of effectiveness and mechanisms of change. BMC psychiatry. 2015 Dec; 15(1):1-4.
- Green A. art of storytelling, translation pour Friday. T. Thran, Abjd. 1927:148-9.