Document Type : original article
Assistant Professor of Pediatric Intensive Care, Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine Mofid Children's Hospital, Shahid Beheshti, University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Ilam University of Medical sciences, Ilam, Iran
Background: Asthma and allergy symptoms are usually intermittent in nature and may not manifest in the clinical examination to the extent that affect the patient; this presents a challenge to the general practitioners (GPs) or the patient in the diagnosis and follow-up treatment phases.
Methods: The present cross-sectional study was conducted on 175 GPS. For collecting the data, the researchers-made online version of the Knowledge and Attitude questionnaire was uploaded in virtual networks, and all GPS were individually asked to fill the questionnaires. Data analysis was carried out using mean, standard deviation, ANOVA, independent t and regression statistical tests in SPSS ver. 16.
Results: It was found that 134 (76.6%) of the GPs had a partially true attitude and 41 (23.4%) of them had an excellent attitude. Also, GPs had moderate and excellent knowledge in 157 (89.7%) and 18 (10.3%) cases, respectively. The mean ± SD of the overall score of knowledge and attitude towards asthma was equal to 55.04 ± 3.98. The overall score of the questionnaire and the score of all of its domains significantly correlated with age and years of work experience (p<0.05).
Conclusion: Considering that most of the GPs in the present study had moderate knowledge and attitude towards asthma management, it is necessary to conduct educational interventions for this group of medical staff.
- Hatefi M, Komlakh K, Nouri L. Investigating the effect of methylprednisolone pulse on the treatment of back pain. Romanian Journal of. 125(2):264, DOI: 10.22034 /ecc.2022. 323514.1293.
- Komlakh K, Karbasfrushan A. The effect of Pregabalin on the pain status of patients with disc and spinal surgeries: A systematic review of drug therapy. Eurasian Chemical Communications. 2022; 4(11):1147-55, https://doi.org/10.22034/ecc.2022.348692.1491.
- Khosravi S, Khayyamfar A, Shemshadi M, Koltapeh MP, Sadeghi-Naini M, Ghodsi Z, et al. Indicators of quality of care in individuals with traumatic spinal cord injury: a scoping review. Global spine journal. 2022; 12(1):166-81, https://doi.org/ 10.1177/2192568220981988.
- Karbasfrushan A, Karimiyarandi H. Role of vitamin D on knee osteoarthritis pain: a systematic review. Eurasian Chemical Communications. 2022; 4(12):1241-50, https://doi.org/10.22034/ecc.2022.351411.1505.
- Shokri M, Tarjoman A, Borji M, Solaimanizadeh L. Investigating psychological problems in caregivers of pediatrics with cancer: A systematic review. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing. 2020; 33(4):229-38, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcap.12269.
- Shokri M, Karimian M, Mansouri F, Mahdikhani S, Borji M, Solaimanizadeh L, et al. Laboratory and radiologic findings in pediatrics with COVID-19: A systematic review. Archives of Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2020; 15(3): DOI: 10.5812/archcid.103483.
- Lu C, Zhang Y, Li B, Zhao Z, Huang C, Zhang X, et al. Interaction effect of prenatal and postnatal exposure to ambient air pollution and temperature on childhood asthma. Environment International. 2022; 167:107456.
- Gaffin JM, Kanchongkittiphon W, Phipatanakul W. Reprint of: perinatal and early childhood environmental factors influencing allergic asthma immunopathogenesis. International immunopharmacology. 2014; 23(1):337-46, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2014.09.028.
- Yu H, Zhou Y, Wang R, Qian Z, Knibbs LD, Jalaludin B, et al. Associations between trees and grass presence with childhood asthma prevalence using deep learning image segmentation and a novel green view index. Environmental Pollution. 2021; 286:117582, https://doi.org /10.1016/ j.envpol.2021.
- Mehrabi Nasab D, Taheri A, Athari SS. Conjugation of Cortistatin Peptide with Gold Nanoparticles Synthesized to Investigate Anti-Inflammatory Effects in Allergic Asthma. Journal of Medicinal and Chemical Sciences. 2023; 6(1):20-8, https://doi.org/10.26655/JMCHEMSCI.2023.1.3.
- Epstein‐Rigbi Na, Goldberg MR, Levy MB, Nachshon L, Elizur A. Quality of life of children aged 8‐12 years undergoing food allergy oral immunotherapy: Child and parent perspective. Allergy. 2020; 75(10):2623-32, https://doi.org /10.1111/ all.14350.
- Martin J, Townshend J, Brodlie M. Diagnosis and management of asthma in children. BMJ pediatrics open. 2022; 6(1): doi: 10.1136/bmjpo-2021-001277.
- McQuaid EL, Koinis Mitchell D, Walders N, Nassau JH, Kopel SJ, Klein RB, et al. Pediatric asthma morbidity: The importance of symptom perception and family response to symptoms. Journal of pediatric psychology. 2007; 32(2):167-77.
- Nurmagambetov T, Kuwahara R, Garbe P. The economic burden of asthma in the United States, 2008–2013. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2018; 15(3):348-56, https://doi.org/10.1513/ AnnalsATS. 201703-259OC.
- Mehrabi Nasab D, Taheri A, Athari SS. Conjugation of Cortistatin Peptide with Gold Nanoparticles Synthesized to Investigate Anti-Inflammatory Effects in Allergic Asthma. Journal of Medicinal and Chemical Sciences. 2023; 6(1):20-8, https://doi.org/10.26655/JMCHEMSCI.2022.5.2.
- Rottier BL, Rubin BK. Asthma medication delivery: mists and myths. Pediatric respiratory reviews. 2013; 14(2):112-8, https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.prrv. 2013.02.013.
- Roncada C, Cardoso TdA, Bugança BM, Bischoff LC, Soldera K, Pitrez PM. Levels of knowledge about asthma of parents of asthmatic children. Einstein (São Paulo). 2018; 16:https://doi.org/10.1590 /S679-45082018AO4204.
- Onay ZR, Deniz M, Ayhan Y, OKSAY SC, Bilgin G, Girit S. Did hospital admissions caused by respiratory infections and asthma decrease during the COVID-19 pandemic? Medeniyet Medical Journal. 2022; 37(1):92, doi: 10.4274/ MMJ.galenos.2022.02779.
- Magzamen S, Patel B, Davis A, Edelstein J, Tager IB. Kickin Asthma: School‐Based asthma education in an urban community. Journal of School Health. 2008; 78(12):655-65, https://doi.org/ 10.1111/ j.746-561. 2008.00362.x.
- Testa D, Bari MD, Nunziata M, Cristofaro GD, Massaro G, Marcuccio G, et al. Allergic rhinitis and asthma assessment of risk factors in pediatric patients: a systematic review. International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology. 2020; 129:109759, https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ijpor l.2019.
- Mohammadzadeh I, Barari-Savadkoohi R, Alizadeh-Navaei R. The prevalence of allergic rhinitis in Iranian children: A systematic review and descriptive meta-analysis. Journal of Pediatrics Review. 2013; 1(2):19-24, https://jpr.mazums.ac.ir/ article-1-59-en.html.
- Werthmann D, Rabito FA, Reed C. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices concerning cockroach exposure among caregivers of children with asthma. BMC Public Health. 2021; 21(1):1-10, https://doi.org/.1186/s12889-021-1497-y.
- Poowuttikul P, Seth D. New concepts and technological resources in patient education and asthma self-management. Clinical Reviews in Allergy & Immunology. 2020; 59(1):19-37, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12016-020-08782-w.
- Hui CY, McKinstry B, Fulton O, Buchner M, Pinnock H. Patients’ and clinicians’ visions of a future internet-of-things system to support asthma self-management: mixed methods study. Journal of medical Internet research. 2021; 23(4):e22432, doi: 10.2196/.
- Farpour HR, Kazemi M, Dehghanian KS, Moradi M, Farpour S. Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice of General Practitioners Toward the Rehabilitation Field and Team Experts in Shiraz, Iran, in 2018. Shiraz E-Medical Journal. 2021; 22(7): doi: 10.5812/semj.105821.
- Dhobale RV, Waghacha Vare VB, Gore AD, Dhumale GB. General practitioners’ knowledge, attitude, and practices regarding optional immunization in urban areas of Sangli District: A cross sectional study. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2022; 11(7):3923-8, doi: 10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_1966_21.
- Farpour HR, Kazemi M, Seyed Dehghanian K, Moradi M, Farpour S. Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice of General Practitioners Toward the Rehabilitation Field and Team Experts in Shiraz, Iran, in 2018. 2021; 22(7):e105821, doi: 10.5812/semi.
- Kirkgoz T, Dogrn M, Kirkgoz H, Çicek F, Sexer R, Bozaykut A. Evaluation of Knowledge Among Pediatricians on Childhood Asthma and Asthma Attack. Journal of Contemporary Medicine. 11(3):310-6, https://doi.org/10.16899 /jcm. 799961.
- Sharifi A, Arsalani N, Fallahi-Khoshknab M, Mohammadi-Shahbolaghi F, Ebadi A. Psychometric Properties of the Persian Version of Perceptions of Physical Restraint Use Questionnaire. Salmand-Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2021; 16(2):260-72, 73, doi:10.32598/sija. 16.2.2855.1.
- Mundfrom DJ, Shaw DG, Ke TL. Minimum sample size recommendations for conducting factor analyses. International journal of testing. 2005; 5(2):159-68, https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327574ijt0502_4
- Plichta SB, Kelvin EA, Munro BH. Munro's statistical methods for health care research: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013.
- Yu DS, Lee DT, Woo J. Issues and challenges of instrument translation. Western journal of nursing research. 2004; 26(3):307-20, https://doi.org/ 10.1177/ 0193945903260554.
- Karimian M, Mansouri F, Borji M, Tarjoman A, Mahdikhani S, Soltany B, et al. Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of covid-19 in infants and children: a systematic review study of performed protocols. Archives of Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2020; 15(6):doi: 10.5812/ archcid.103180.
- Chua GN, Hassali MA, Shafie AA, Awaisu A. A survey exploring knowledge and perceptions of general practitioners towards the use of generic medicines in the northern state of Malaysia. Health policy. 2010; 95(2-3):229-35, https://doi.org/ 10.1016/ j.healthpol.2009.11.019.
- Riccò M, Ferraro P, Camisa V, Satta E, Zaniboni A, Ranzieri S, et al. When a neglected tropical disease goes global: Knowledge, attitudes and practices of Italian physicians towards monkeypox, preliminary results. Tropical medicine and infectious disease. 2022; 7(7):135, https://doi.org/10.3390/tropicalmed7070135.
- Rahbar MH, Ibrahim K, Assassi P. Knowledge and attitude of general practitioners regarding autism in Karachi, Pakistan. Journal of autism and developmental disorders. 2011; 41(4):465-74 doi https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-010-1068-x.
- Bhulani N, Lalani S, Ahmed A, Jan Y, Faheem U, Khan A, et al. Knowledge of asthma management by general practitioners in Karachi, Pakistan: comparison with international guidelines. Primary Care Respiratory Journal. 2011; 20(4):448-51, https://doi.org/10.4104/ pcrj. 2011.00096.