Document Type : original article
- Gholamreza Panahandeh 1
- Mahmoud Rafieian-Kopaei 2
- Zahra Lorigooini 3
- Soleyman Kheiri 4
- Mahdieh Mahmoudian 5
1 Assistant Professor, Department of Paediatrics, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran.
2 Professor of Pharmacology Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Medical Plants Research Center, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
3 Medical Plants Research Center, Basic Health Sciences Institute, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
4 Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
5 MD, Student Research Committee, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
Background: Asthma is an inflammatory disease of the airways which is highly prevalent in children. Treatment of the disease is based on the relief of obstruction and inflammation of the airways. Artemisia persica Boiss. Has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. The aim of this study was to investigate the acute effect of A. persica on pulmonary function in patients with asthma aged 6-18 years.
Methods: In this double-blind clinical trial, 118 asthmatic patients in the age range of 18-6 years, referred to the Spirometry Unit of Imam Ali Clinic, in Shahrekord, southwest of Iran, were randomly divided into control and intervention groups. Patients in the two groups were exposed to a placebo (distilled water) and 10 ml of inhalant A. persica 1.5% formulation for 15 minutes, respectively. Spirometry was performed before and 20 minutes after the completion of inhalation and the values were recorded. Data was analyzed by SPSS 20.
Results: Before the intervention, spirometric indices (including FEV1, FVC, FEV1/FVC, PEF25, PEF50, PEF75, and PEF2575) were not significantly different between the control and case groups. After the intervention, these indices were not significantly different between the two groups. In the group exposed to A. persica inhalation, after the intervention, spirometric indices including FEV1/FVC, PEF50, PEF75, and PEF2575 significantly decreased (P<0.05), while FEV1, FVC, and PEF25 indices did not change significantly after the intervention.
In the control group, FEV1/FVC, FVC, PEF25, PEF50, PEF50, PEF75 and PEF2575 significantly decreased (P<0.05) after the intervention, but FEV1 did not change significantly.
Conclusion: Acute inhalation of A. persica and placebo caused no improvement in spirometric indices in asthmatic patients.
- Ferrante G, La Grutta S. The Burden of Pediatric Asthma. Front Pediatr. 2018; 6:186.
- Dharmage SC, Perret JL, Custovic A. Epidemiology of Asthma in Children and Adults. Front Pediatr. 2019; 7:246.
- Ferrante G, La Grutta S. The Burden of Pediatric Asthma. Front Pediatr. 2018; 6:186-186.
- Miller GF, Coffield E, Leroy Z, Wallin R. Prevalence and Costs of Five Chronic Conditions in Children. J Sch Nurs. 2016; 32(5):357-364.
- Kouzegaran S, Samimi P, Ahanchian H, Khosh Khui M, Behmanesh F. Quality of Life in Children with Asthma versus Healthy Children. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018; 6(8):1413-1418.
- Ferguson JE, Patel SS, Lockey RF. Acute asthma, prognosis, and treatment. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017; 139(2):438-447.
- Lizzo JM, Cortes S. Pediatric Asthma. [Updated 2022 May 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK551631/.
- van Aalderen WM. Childhood asthma: diagnosis and treatment. Scientifica. 2012; 2012:674204-674204.
- Juhn YJ. Risks for infection in patients with asthma (or other atopic conditions): is asthma more than a chronic airway disease? J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014; 134(2):247-259.
- Al-Harbi A, Alanazi T, Alghamdi H, Alberreet M, Alkewaibeen A, Alkhalifah A, Omair A, Khan M, Al-Jahdali H. Prevalence of Insomnia Among Patients with Bronchial Asthma. J Asthma Allergy. 2022; 15:111-116.
- Kaur S, Singh V. Asthma and Medicines - Long-Term Side-Effects, Monitoring and Dose Titration. 2018; 85(9):748-756.
- Franks TJ, Burton DL, Simpson MD. Patient medication knowledge and adherence to asthma pharmacotherapy: a pilot study in rural Australia. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2005; 1(1):33-38.
- Kim BK, Park SY, Ban GY, Kim MA, Lee JH, An J, Shim JS, Lee Y, Won HK, Lee HY, Sohn KH, Kang SY, Park SY, Lee H, Kim MH, Kwon JW, Yoon SW, Lee JH, Rhee CH, Moon JY, Lee T, Kim SR, Park JS, Kim SH, Park HW, Jeong JW, Kim SH, Koh YI, Oh YM, Jang AS, Yoo KH, Cho YS; Korean Academy of Asthma, Allergy, Clinical Immunology (KAACI), the Working Group on Severe Asthma. Evaluation and Management of Difficult-to-Treat and Severe Asthma: An Expert Opinion From the Korean Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, the Working Group on Severe Asthma. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res. 2020; 12(6):910-933.
- Li X-M, Brown L. Efficacy and mechanisms of action of traditional Chinese medicines for treating asthma and allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123(2):297-308.
- Shahidi N, Fitzgerald JM. Current recommendations for the treatment of mild asthma. J Asthma Allergy. 2010; 3:169-176.
- Farghadani M, Ghafoori H, Vakhshiteh F, Shahzadeh Fazeli SA, Farzaneh P, Kokhaei P. The effect of Artemisia fragrans willd. Essential oil on inducible nitric oxide synthase gene expression and nitric oxide production in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated murine macrophage cell line. Iranian Journal of Allergy, Asthma Immunol. 2016:515-524.
- Ghlissi Z, Sayari N, Kallel R, Bougatef A, Sahnoun Z. Antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and wound healing effects of Artemisia campestris aqueous extract in rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016; 84:115-122.
- Pandey J, Bhusal S, Nepali L, Khatri M, Ramdam R, Barakoti H, Giri PM, Pant D, Aryal P, Rokaya RK, Bhandari R. Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Artemisia vulgaris Leaves, Originating from Three Different Altitudes of Nepal. ScientificWorldJournal. 2021; 2021:6678059.
- Kshirsagar SG, Rao RV. Antiviral and Immunomodulation Effects of Artemisia. Medicina (Kaunas). 2021; 57(3).
- Siadat S, Direkvand-Moghadam F. Study of phytochemical characteristics Artemisia persica Boiss in Ilam Province. Future Natural Products. 2018; 4(3):55-63.
- Burits M, Asres K, Bucar F. The antioxidant activity of the essential oils of Artemisia afra, Artemisia abyssinica and Juniperus procera. Phytother Res. 2001; 15(2):103-8.
- Longo DL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Jameson J, Loscalzo J. eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18e. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2012.
- Bae EA, Min SW, Lee B, Kim NJ, Baek NI, Han EJ, Chung HG, Kim DH. Antiasthmatic effect of fermented Artemisia princeps in asthmatic mice induced by ovalbumin. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007; 17(9):1554-1557.
- Lee J-A, Sung H-N, Jeon C-H, Gill B-C, Oh G-S, Youn H-J, Park JH. A carbohydrate fraction, AIP1 from Artemisia iwayomogi suppresses pulmonary eosinophilia and Th2-type cytokine production in an ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma. Down-regulation of TNF-α expression in the lung. Int Immunopharmacol. 2008; 8(1):117-125.
- Lee SH, Bae E-A, Park E-K, Shin Y-W, Baek N-I, Han E-J, Chung HG, Kim DH. Inhibitory effect of eupatilin and jaceosidin isolated from Artemisia princeps in IgE-induced hypersensitivity. Int Immunopharmacol. 2007; 7(13):1678-1684.
- Mukherjee AA, Kandhare AD, Rojatkar SR, Bodhankar SL. Ameliorative effects of Artemisia pallens in a murine model of ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma via modulation of biochemical perturbations. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017; 94:880-889.
- Shin N-R, Ryu H-W, Ko J-W, Park S-H, Yuk H-J, Kim H-J, Kim JC, Jeong SH, Shin IS. Artemisia argyi attenuates airway inflammation in ovalbumin-induced asthmatic animals. J Ethnopharm. 2017; 209:108-115.
- Kim JY, Kim DY, Lee YS, Lee BK, Lee KH, Ro JY. DA-9601, Artemisia asiatica herbal extract, ameliorates airway inflammation of allergic asthma in mice. Mol Cells. 2006; 22(1):104-112.
- Huang J, Ma L-Q, Yang Y, Wen N, Zhou W, Cai C, Liu QH, Shen J. Chloroform Extract of Artemisia annua L. Relaxes Mouse Airway Smooth Muscle. Evid-based Complement Altern Med. 2017; 2017:12.
- Khan A-u, Gilani AH. Antispasmodic and bronchodilator activities of Artemisia vulgaris are mediated through dual blockade of muscarinic receptors and calcium influx. J Ethnopharm. 2009; 126(3):480-486.
- Shah AJ, Gilani A-H, Abbas K, Rasheed M, Ahmed A, Ahmad VU. Studies on the chemical composition and possible mechanisms underlying the antispasmodic and bronchodilatory activities of the essential oil of Artemisia maritima L. Arch Pharm Res. 2011;34(8):1227.
- Chen Y, Han L, Zhou Y, Yang L, Guo YS. Artemisia Pollen Extracts Exposed to Diesel Exhaust Enhance Airway Inflammation and Immunological Imbalance in Asthmatic Mice Model. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2020; 181(5):342-352.
- Tabynov K, Babayeva M, Nurpeisov T, Fomin G, Nurpeisov T, Shalabayeva U, Renu s, Renukaradhya GJ, Petrovsky N, Tabynov K. Evaluation of a Novel Adjuvanted Vaccine for Ultrashort Regimen Therapy of Artemisia Pollen-Induced Allergic Bronchial Asthma in a Mouse Model. Front Immunol. 2022; 13:828690.
- Gao Z, Fu WY, Sun Y, Gao B, Wang HY, Liu M, Luo FM, Zhou X, Jin J, Zhao L, Wu S, Liu Y, Wu L, Wang X, Tang NB, Guo BH, Feng Y, Zhou JY, Gadermaier G, Ferreira F, Versteeg SA, Ree RV. Artemisia pollen allergy in China: Component-resolved diagnosis reveals allergic asthma patients have significant multiple allergen sensitization. Allergy. 2019; 74(2):284-293.
- Ahmadvand H, Amiri H, Dalvand H, Bagheri S. Various antioxidant properties of essential oil and hydroalcoholic extract of Artemisa persica 58; Short Communication. Journal of Birjand University of Medical Sciences. 2014; 20(4):416-424.