Document Type : systematic review
1 Assistant Professor of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Ddepartment of Pediatrics, School of Medicine Emam Khomeini Hospital, Ilam University of Medical sciences, Ilam, Iran
2 Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Ilam University of Medical sciences, Ilam, Iran
3 Assistant Professor of Neurology, School of Medicine, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
Background: Epilepsy is known as a periodic and severe disturbance in the nervous system, resulting from abnormal discharge of brain cells. Epilepsy is characterized by unexplained seizures, and threatens human life throughout their entire life span. The prevalence of epilepsy is high in early childhood, and declines with the increase in age.
Method: In this study, a meta-analysis was done on the papers published from 2000 to 2023, investigating the prevalence of epilepsy within the age range of 1-20 years. Having a precise report of the studied city, report of prevalence as number or percentage, and report of epilepsy within the mentioned age range were the inclusion criteria for the papers. Any disagreement in fulfilling the criteria was resolved in a meeting by the presence of the three researchers. The search was done across Iranian databases plus ISI, Scopus, PubMed, and Embase with keywords of epilepsy, prevalence, children, adolescents, Iran, epidemiology, and psychiatric disorders.
Result: In the initial search, 1276 papers were found, 28 of which were selected after screening based on inclusion and exclusion criteria, and were analyzed via random method. The prevalence of epilepsy was found to be 2.3 (95%CI: 1.3-3.8). Its Z-value was -13.719, Q-value 2443.036, df (Q) 31, and I-squared 98.731.
Conclusion: The prevalence of epilepsy in Iran is 2.3 (95% CI: 1.3-3.8), which warrants the necessary measures to be taken for its reduction.
- Ablah E, Hesdorffer DC, Liu Y, Paschal AM, Hawley S, Thurman D, Hauser WA, Group PoEiRKS: Prevalence of epilepsy in rural Kansas. Epilepsy research 2014, 108(4):792-801.
- Haji A, Mahmoud Fakhe H: Relationship of social support and self-management with quality of life in patients with epilepsy. Journal of health and care 2015, 17(3):240-247.
- Seyedoshohadaee M, Salighedar G, Haghani H: Evaluation of the Relationship between Life Quality and Circadian Types and Anxiety in Iranian Epilepsy Association Members with Epilepsy in 2020. Iran Journal of Nursing 2021, 34(132):8-20.
- Zhu X-r, Zhu Z-r, Wang L-x, Zhao T, Han X: Prevalence and risk factors for depression and anxiety in adult patients with epilepsy: Caregivers’ anxiety and place of residence do mater. Epilepsy & Behavior 2022, 129:108628.
- Lee HJ, Choi EK, Park HB, Yang S-H: Risk and protective factors related to stigma among people with epilepsy: an integrative review. Epilepsy & Behavior 2020, 104:106908.
- LaGrant B, Marquis BO, Berg AT, Grinspan ZM: Depression and anxiety in children with epilepsy and other chronic health conditions: National estimates of prevalence and risk factors. Epilepsy & Behavior 2020, 103:106828.
- López-Rivera JA, Smuk V, Leu C, Nasr G, Vegh D, Stefanski A, Pérez-Palma E, Busch R, Jehi L, Najm I: Incidence and prevalence of major epilepsy-associated brain lesions. Epilepsy & Behavior Reports 2022, 18:100527.
- Hader WJ, Tellez‐Zenteno J, Metcalfe A, Hernandez‐Ronquillo L, Wiebe S, Kwon CS, Jette N: Complications of epilepsy surgery—a systematic review of focal surgical resections and invasive EEG monitoring. Epilepsia 2013, 54(5):840-847.
- Bjellvi J, Flink R, Rydenhag B, Malmgren K: Complications of epilepsy surgery in Sweden 1996–2010: a prospective, population-based study. Journal of neurosurgery 2015, 122(3):519-525.
- Vederhus J, Husebye ESN, Eid K, Gilhus NE, Bjørk MH: Prevalence of self‐reported emotional, physical, and sexual abuse and association with fear of childbirth in pregnant women with epilepsy: The Norwegian Mother, Father, and Child Cohort Study. Epilepsia 2022, 63(7):1822-1834.
- Mayor R, Gunn S, Reuber M, Simpson J: Experiences of stigma in people with epilepsy: A meta-synthesis of qualitative evidence. Seizure 2022, 94:142-160.
- Mohammadi N, Starnejad L, Garkaz O, Abbasfam Z, Nazarbaghi S, Mehryar HR: Investigating the Causes of the First Generalized Seizure in Adult Patients Referred to the Emergency Department of Imam Khomeini Hospital in Urmia. 2018.
- Inaloo S, GHanavatipour Z: Prevalence of Sleep Disorders among Epileptic Children Referring To Emam-Reza Clinic and Comparing With Non-Epileptic Group during 2013-2014. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences 2020.
- Hasegawa N, Annaka H: Cognitive features of adult focal epilepsy with unknown etiology revealed by the trail making test. Epilepsy & Behavior 2022, 129:108625.
- Mahdiannasser M, Rashidi-Nezhad A, Badv RS, Akrami SM: Exploring the genetic etiology of drug-resistant epilepsy: incorporation of exome sequencing into practice. Acta Neurologica Belgica 2022, 122(6):1457-1468.
- Pakdaman H, Harandi AA, Gharagozli K, Alaeddini F, Esfandani A, Mirbehbahani SH, Doroudi T, Kolivand P, Bahrami P, Kazemi H: Epilepsy lifetime prevalence in Iran: a large population-based national survey. Scientific Reports 2021, 11(1):1-9.
- Ataei Nakhaei A, Bakhtiari E, Ghahremani S, Akhondian J, Sasan MS, Movahed M, Aelami MH: Prevalence and risk factors of seizure in children with acute bacterial meningitis: updating previous evidence using an epidemiological design. Iran J Child Neurol 2021, 15(3):47-54.
- Nachvak M, Haghighat H, Rezaei M: Prevalence and monitoring of retarded Childs in Tehran in 2002. Quarterly of science-research journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences 2004, 3:34-42.
- Nasiri M, Ahmadi N, Alavi S, Rezazade H, Ostovarrostami F, Naderi H, Sanaeemoghadam F, Rahimipashakolaei Z, Barzegardamadi M, Amiritalarposhti R: The epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents in Mazandaran province. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences 2019, 21(1):314-319.
- Safavi P, Mohammadi MR, Khaleghi A, Mostafavi SA, Taheri S, Shahbazi K, Solati K: Epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents in Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari Province, Iran, 2017. Archives of Iranian Medicine 2019, 22(5):225-231.
- Amiri S, Mohammadi MR, Ahmadi N, Khaleghi A, Nourouzi S, Rahimi VA, Farahbakhsh M, Hemmati A, Abdi S, Moharrami S: Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among children and adolescents in the East Azerbaijan Province, Tabriz, Iran in 2017. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences 2019, 13(4).
- Ahmadpanah M, Nazaribadie M, Mohammadi MR, Hooshyari Z, Alavi SS, Ghaleiha A, Jahangard L, Keshavarzi A, Sabet MF, Nabizadeh S: The prevalence of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents in Hamadan Province, west of Iran. Journal of research in health sciences 2018, 18(4): e00432.
- Ebrahimi H, Shafa M, Hakimzadeh Asl S: Prevalence of active epilepsy in Kerman, Iran: a house-based survey. Acta Neurol Taiwan 2012, 21(3):115-124.
- Talebi M, Farhoudi M, Godszad S, Abdollahi H, Talebi M, Aghili A: Epidemiological study about the prevalence of the types of epilepsy in Tabriz city. Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences 2014, 36(1):60-65.
- Mojahed A, Rigi Kooteh B, Mohammadi MR, Alavi SS, Ahmadi N, Shahbakhsh R, Sarani Yaztappeh J, Shahbakhsh S, Mohamadhasani N, Saljooghi Falizak A: Prevalence of Mental disorders among Children and Teenagers in Sistan and Baluchestan Province, Iran. Caspian Journal of Health Research 2021, 6(3):91-100.
- Riahi F, Mohammadi MR, IZADI MAZIDI M, Khaleghi A, Hooshyari Z: Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders among Children and Adolescents: A Study from Khuzestan. Iranian Journal of Child Neurology 2022, 16(3).
- Karimzadeh P, Reza AALAEI M, Rahimpour F: Prevalence of seizure in PKU: an analytic historical study. Iranian Journal of Child Neurology 2010, 4(2):15-20.
- Talepasand S, Mohammadi MR, Alavi SS, Khaleghi A, Sajedi Z, Akbari P, Lari M, Kasaeian R, Eskandaripour M, Rashti E: Psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents: prevalence and sociodemographic correlates in Semnan Province in Iran. Asian journal of psychiatry 2019, 40:9-14.
- Ahsan B, Khomand P, Taatiie M, Molanaiie A: Assessment of the prevalence rate of status epilepticus and its underlying factors among adults and children. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 2013, 18(1):1-7.
- Mohammadi MR, Ahmadi N, Khaleghi A, Mostafavi SA, Kamali K, Rahgozar M, Ahmadi A, Hooshyari Z, Alavi SS, Molavi P: Prevalence and correlates of psychiatric disorders in a national survey of Iranian children and adolescents. Iranian journal of psychiatry 2019, 14(1):1.
- Haghbin A, Mohammadi M, Ahmadi N, Khaleghi A, Golmakani H, Kaviyani F, Khorrami M, Akbarzadeh M, Hamidi M, Vahidi G Khodashenas A, Danesh M, Mortazavi R, Derakhshani Y, Rahimi A, Norozi Khalili M, Johariniya S, Shakeri M, Nazari A, Hashemi SA, Hojjat SK: Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents of NorthKhorasan Province, Iran. North Khorasan University of Medical Sciences 2018, 10(1):117-127.
- Khaleghi A, Mohammadi MR, Zandifar A, Ahmadi N, Alavi SS, Ahmadi A, Mahmoudi-Gharaei J, Hooshyari Z, Mostafavi A, Fooladi MF: Epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents; in Tehran, 2017. Asian journal of psychiatry 2018, 37:146-153.
- Amirian H, Jaberghaderi N, Mohammadi MR, Khaleghi A, Hooshyari Z, Almasi L, Moradi S, Khoramnia S, Mohammadpour M, Pouyanfard S: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Status in Kermanshah Province of Iran. 2022, 16(1): e83874.
- Molavi P, Mohammadi M, KHaleghi A, Nadr Mohammadi Moghadam M: Prevalence of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents in Ardabil Province: A population-based study. J Ardabil Univ Med Sci 2018, 18(2):240-251.
- Mohammadi MR, Hojjat SK, Ahmadi N, Alavi SS, Hooshyari Z, Khaleghi A, Ahmadi A, Hesari MJ, Shakiba A, Amiri S: Prevalence of elimination disorders and comorbid psychiatric disorders in Iranian children and adolescents. Journal of pediatric rehabilitation medicine 2021, 14(1):19-29.
- Sarraf N, Mohammadi MR, Ahmadi N, Khaleghi A, Gharibi S, Atapour H, lashgari H, Pouri Tahvildari N: Epidemiology of Children and Adolescents Psychiatric Disorders in Qazvin Central Areas 2016-2017 (A National Project). Journal of Inflammatory Diseases 2019, 22(6):164-177.
- Kian AA, Mohammadi M, Ahmadi N, Hooshyari Z, Ahmadizadeh R: Epidemiology of Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents in Zanjan Province, Iran during November-February 2016. Journal of Human Environment and Health Promotion 2020, 6(4):177-182.
- Golbon A, Mousavi SY, Mohammadi MR, Hooshyari Z, Ahmadi N, Naderi F, Niksalehi S: The Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents in Hormozgan Province of Iran. Hormozgan Medical Journal 2020, 24(3):e98738-e98738.
- Ahmadi N, Mohammadi MR, Sadr Bafghi SM, Yassini Ardekani SM, Mirzaei M, Hooshyari Z, Alavi SS, Rismanian Yazdi F, Zahedifard M, Araghi SM, Mehrparvar AH. Epidemiology of Psychiatric Disorders and the Relevant Comorbidities in Children and Adolescents in Yazd Province in 2016. The Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences 2023, 30(11):6086-6096.
- Mojahed A, Rigi Kooteh B, Mohammadi MR, Alavi SS, Ahmadi N, Shahbakhsh R, Sarani Yaztappeh J, Shahbakhsh S, Mohamadhasani N, Saljooghi Falizak A, Shaghouzaei S. Prevalence of Mental disorders among Children and Teenagers in Sistan and Baluchestan Province, Iran. Caspian Journal of Health Research 2021, 6(3):91-100.
- Kaheni S, Riyasi H, Rezvani Kharashad M, Sharifzadeh Gh NS: Prevalence of epilepsy in children at primary schools and awareness of teachers about epilepsy at primary schools of Birjand in 2010. Novel cares, quarterly of science journal of nursing and midwifery in Birjand University of Medical Sciences 2011, 3:135-142.
- Derakhshanpour F, Mohammadi M, Zarafshan H, Ahmadi A, Kashani L, Bashiri N, Mosavi SM, Lord A, Kabosi A, Rezai A, Safari F. Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among children and adolescents in Gorgan, north of Iran (2019). Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences 2020, 22(3):113-120.
- Armani Kian A, Mohammadi M, Ahmadi N, Hooshyari Z, Ahmadizadeh R: Epidemiology of Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents Aged 6-18 Years in Zanjan Province, Iran (November-February 2016). Journal of Human Environment and Health Promotion 2020, 6(4):177-182.
- Eslami Shahrbabaki M, Mohammadi MR, Hooshyari Z, Ahmadi A, Rabani Bavojdan M, Kaviani N, Rabani Bavojdan M, Irannejad A, Abbaspour M, Dehesh P: Epidemiology of Psychiatric Disorders among Children and Adolescents in Kerman and Suburbs in 2016-2017. Health and Development Journal 2020, 9(2):187-201.
- Kousha M, Mohammadi M, Roshandel rad M, Khaleghi A, Ahmadi A, Yahyazadeh A, Mehryar S, Habibi P, Khorshidi S: The Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents in Rasht City. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences 2019, 28(111):30-44.
- Mohammadzadeh S, Mohammadi MR, Ahmadi N, Hooshyari Z, Tahazadeh S, Yousefi F, Maleki B, Hamidi S: Epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents between 6 and 18 years of age in Kurdistan Province in 2016. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 2018, 23(6):115-127.
- Mohammadi M, SA BY, Rahgozar M, Mesgarpoor B, Kokabeh F, KH G, SH N: An Epidemiological Study of Psychiatric Disorders in East Azerbaijan Province (Year 2001). Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences 2013, 26(4):67-73.
- Schulte-Körne G: Mental health problems in a school setting in children and adolescents. Deutsches Ärzteblatt International 2016, 113(11):183.
- Mirghaed MT, Gorji HA, Panahi S: Prevalence of psychiatric disorders in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International journal of preventive medicine 2020, 11.
- Shokri M, Tarjoman A, Borji M, Solaimanizadeh L: Investigating psychological problems in caregiver of pediatrics with cancer: A systematic review. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing 2020, 33(4):229-238.
- Shokri M, Karimian M, Mansouri F, Mahdikhani S, Borji M, Solaimanizadeh L, Tarjoman A, Soltany B, Gholami A: Laboratory and radiologic findings in pediatrics with COVID-19: A systematic review. Archives of Clinical Infectious Diseases 2020, 15(3).
- Usenova A, Akhunbaev S, Tumanbaev A, Lim E: The Relationship between Gene Polymorphisms of the XRCC1 and TP53 with the Gender of Children with Acute Leukemia. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 2023, 24(2):613-621.
- Tedrus G, Souza D, Crepaldi C, Petrarca Y: Suicide risk in epilepsy: Clinical variables, psychiatric disorders, and social support. Revue neurologique 2023, 179(3):183-187.
- Taheri Mirghaed M, Abolghasem Gorji H, Panahi S: Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders in Iran: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Int J Prev Med 2020, 11:21.
- Sayehmiri K, Tavan H, Sayehmiri F, Mohammadi I, Carson KV: Prevalence of epilepsy in Iran: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Iranian journal of child neurology 2014, 8(4):9.
- Fiest KM, Sauro KM, Wiebe S, Patten SB, Kwon C-S, Dykeman J, Pringsheim T, Lorenzetti DL, Jetté N: Prevalence and incidence of epilepsy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of international studies. Neurology 2017, 88(3):296-303.
- Burneo JG, Tellez-Zenteno J, Wiebe S: Understanding the burden of epilepsy in Latin America: a systematic review of its prevalence and incidence. Epilepsy research 2005, 66(1-3):63-74.
- Bruno E, Bartoloni A, Zammarchi L, Strohmeyer M, Bartalesi F, Bustos JA, Santivañez S, García HH, Nicoletti A, Group CPS: Epilepsy and neurocysticercosis in Latin America: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2013, 7(10): e2480.