Document Type : original article
1 Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences,Birjand,Iran
2 Birjand atherosclerosis and coronary artery research center, Associate professor of pediatric, Birjand University of Medical Sciences(BUMS)
3 Assistante professor of Social Medicine, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
4 Pediatrics department, Valie-asr hospital, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Khorasan Jonoobi province, Iran, PO box 9717964151
Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) risk factors in 6-18-year-old students in Birjand, east of Iran.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was performed on 4182 students, including 2086 females and 2096 males, in two age groups of 6-11 and 12-18 years. In order to pinpoint overweight and obesity in them, the percentiles presented by the Centre for Diseases Control (CDC) were applied. Percentiles equal to or greater than 90 were considered as high blood pressure or abnormal. Fast blood sugar over 100 mg/dl, total cholesterol over 200 mg/dl, LDL over 130 mg/dl, HDL over 40 mg/dl and triglyceride more than 100 mg/dl and 130 mg/dl for ages of 6-9 and 10-18 years, were regarded as abnormal values. Data was analyzed by SPSS Software (V. 16), using T-test and X2 at the significance level of 0.05.
Results: The prevalence of selected CVD risk factors for the age groups of 6-11 and 12-18 years were 9.5% and 7.3% for overweight, 9.2% and 8.2% for obesity, 15.7% and 16.3% for abdominal obesity, 11.2% and 4.6% for diastolic hypertension, 21.8% and 10.1% for systolic hypertension, respectively. The prevalence rates were found to be ,respectively, 4.7% and 7.5% for high blood glucose, %13.4 and 6.1% for high cholesterol, 8.5% and 3.5% for high LDL, 15.3% and 14% for high triglycerides, and 11.3% and 24.7% for low HDL levels, in the two age groups of 6-11 and 12-18 years.
Conclusions: This study shows a high prevalence of CVD risk factors in children and adolescents of Birjand.
- Kelishadi R, Hovsepian S, Qorbani M, Jamshidi F, Fallah Z, Djalalinia S, Peykari N, Delavari A, Farzadfar F. National and sub-national prevalence, trend, and burden of cardiometabolic risk factors in Iranian children and adolescents, 1990 – 2013. Arch Iran Med. 2014; 17(1):71 – 80.
- Ng M, Fleming T, Robinson M, Thomson B, Graetz N, Margono C, Mullany EC, Biryukov S, Abbafati C, Abera SF, Abraham JP. Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. The Lancet. 2014 Sep 5; 384(9945):766-81.
- Wabitsch M, Moss A, Kromeyer-Hauschild K. Unexpected plateauing of childhood obesity rates in developed countries. BMC medicine. 2014; 31; 12(1):17.
- Kelishadi R, Hovsepian S, Djalalinia S, Jamshidi F, Qorbani M. A systematic review on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Iranian children and adolescents. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2016; 1: 21(1):90.
- Chahkandi T, Taheri F, Kazemi T, Bijari B. The prevalence of diabetes and prediabetes among elementary school children in Birjand. Iranian journal of pediatrics. 2015 Feb; 25(1).
- Kumar S, Kelly AS. Review of Childhood Obesity: From Epidemiology, Etiology, and Comorbidities to Clinical Assessment and Treatment. InMayo Clinic Proceedings 2017 Jan 5. Elsevier.
- Song P, Yu J, Chang X, Wang M, An L. Prevalence and Correlates of Metabolic Syndrome in Chinese Children: The China Health and Nutrition Survey. Nutrients. 2017 Jan 18; 9(1):79.
- Gupta N, Shah P, Nayyar S, Misra A. Childhood obesity and metabolic syndrome in developing countries. The Indian Journal of Pediatrics. 2013 Mar 1; 80(1):28-37.
- Taheri F, Kazemi T. Increased prevalence of overweight and obesity in Birjand adolescents aged 15-18 years from 2005 to 2012. Iran J Pediatr; Vol. 2013 Dec; 23(6).
- J, Daniels S. Obesity hypertension in children. Hypertension. 2002 Oct 1; 40(4):441-7.
- Longo D, Fauci A, Kasper D, Hauser S, Jameson J, Loscalzo J. Harrison principles of internal medicine.18th ed; 2012. p. 2042.
- Türkoğlu Ü, Dindar A, Ömeroglu RE. Assessment of lipid profile and some risk factors of atherosclerosis in children whose parents had early onset coronary artery disease. Arch Argent Pediatr. 2017; 115(1):50-7.
- Greco M, Sood A, Kwon S, Ariza AJ. Cardiovascular risk factor screening and management of obese patients at an outpatient pediatric cardiology center. SpringerPlus. 2016 Oct 24; 5(1):1868
- Taheri F, Kazemi T, Bijari B, Namakin K, Zardast M, Chahkandi T. Prevalence of Dyslipidemia among Elementary School Children in Birjand, East of Iran, 2012. The Journal of Tehran University Heart Center. 2016 Jan 13; 11(1):15.
- Ramachandran A, Snehalatha C, Shetty AS, Nanditha A. Trends in prevalence of diabetes in Asian countries. World J Diabetes. 2012 Jun 15; 3(6):110-7.
- Reinehr T. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. World J Diabetes. 2013 Dec 15; 4(6):270-81.
- Ali BA, Abdallah ST, Abdallah AM, Hussein MM. The Frequency of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus among Diabetic Children in El Minia Governorate, Egypt. Sultan Qaboos University medical journal. 2013 Aug; 13(3):399.
- Macêdo SF, Araújo MF, Marinho NP, Lima AC, Freitas RW, Damasceno MM. Risk factors for type 2 diabetes mellitus in children. Revista latino-americana de enfermagem. 2010 Oct; 18(5):936-42.
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2004; 114 (2 Suppl 4th Report): 555-76.
- Expert Panel on Integrated Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction in Children and Adolescents: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel on integrated guidelines for cardiovascular health and risk reduction in children and adolescents: summary report. Pediatrics. 2011; 128 Suppl 5:S213.
- Khashayar P, Heshmat R, Qorbani M, Motlagh ME, Aminaee T, Ardalan G, Farrokhi-Khajeh-Pasha Y, Taslimi M, Larijani B, Kelishadi R. Metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk factors in a national sample of adolescent population in the Middle East and North Africa: the CASPIAN III study. International journal of endocrinology. 2013 Feb 6; 2013.
- Niehues JR, Gonzales AI, Lemos RR, Bezerra PP, Haas P. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents from the age range of 2 to 19 years old in Brazil. International journal of pediatrics. 2014 Jun 3; 2014.
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK, Flegal KM. Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012. Jama. 2014 Feb 26; 311(8):806-14.
24.Rivera JÁ, de Cossío TG, Pedraza LS, Aburto TC, Sánchez TG, Martorell R. Childhood and adolescent overweight and obesity in Latin America: a systematic review. The Lancet Diabetes & endocrinology. 2014 Apr 30; 2(4):321-32.
- Schröder H, Ribas L, Koebnick C, Funtikova A, Gomez SF, Fíto M, Perez-Rodrigo C, Serra-Majem L. Prevalence of abdominal obesity in Spanish children and adolescents. Do we need waist circumference measurements in pediatric practice? PLoS One. 2014 Jan 27; 9(1):e87549.
- Musaiger A, Al-Mannai M, Al-Marzog Q. Overweight and obesity among children (10-13 years) in Bahrain: A comparison between Two International Standards 2014.
- Taheri F, Kazemi T, Chahkandi T, Namakin K, Zardast M, Bijari B.Prevalence of Overweight, Obesity and Central Obesity among Elementary School Children in Birjand, East of Iran, 2012.J Res Health Sci. 2013 Sep 17; 13(2):157-61
- De Moraes AC, Fadoni RP, Ricardi LM, Souza TC, Rosaneli CF, Nakashima AT, Falcão MC. Prevalence of abdominal obesity in adolescents: a systematic review. Obesity reviews. 2011 Feb 1; 12(2):69-77.
- Mehairi AE, Khouri AA, Naqbi MM, Muhairi SJ, Maskari FA, Nagelkerke N, Shah SM. Metabolic syndrome among Emirati adolescents: a school-based study. PLoS One. 2013 Feb 13; 8(2):e56159.
- Zhang YX, Zhao JS, Chu ZH, Tan HL. Prevalence and regional disparities in abdominal obesity among children and adolescents in Shandong, China, surveyed in 2010. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2014 Jul 26; 64(2):137-43.
- De Moraes AC, Falcão MC. Lifestyle factors and socioeconomic variables associated with abdominal obesity in Brazilian adolescents. Annals of Human Biology. 2013 Jan 1; 40(1):1-8.
- Xi B, Mi J, Zhao M, Zhang T, Jia C, Li J, Zeng T, Steffen LM. Trends in abdominal obesity among US children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2014 Jul 1: peds-2014.
- Hakim A, Bagheri R. Prevalence of hypertension and associated factors in ahvaz school age children in 2013. International journal of community based nursing and midwifery. 2014 Jul; 2(3):136.
- Luo JS, Chen SK, Fan X, Tang Q, Feng Y. Prevalence of hypertension and relationship between hypertension and obesity in children and adolescents in Nanning of Guangxi Province. Zhongguo dang dai er ke za zhi= Chinese journal of contemporary pediatrics. 2014 Oct; 16(10):1040-4.
- Zhang J, Ma Yt, Xie X, Yang Yn, Liu F, Li Xm, Fu Zy, Ma X, Chen Bd, Zheng Yy, Yu Zx. Prevalence of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in Uygur children of Xinjiang, China. Genetics and Molecular Research. 2013 Jan 1; 12(4):5007-12.
- Dabelea D, Mayer-Davis EJ, Saydah S, Imperatore G, Linder B, Divers J, Bell R, Badaru A, Talton JW, Crume T, Liese AD. Prevalence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among children and adolescents from 2001 to 2009. Jama. 2014 May 7; 311(17):1778-86.
- Lim JS. The current state of dyslipidemia in Korean children and adolescents and its management in clinical practice. Annals of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2013 Mar 1; 1 8(1):1-8.
- Shirasawa T, Ochiai H, Ohtsu T, Nishimura R, Morimoto A, Hoshino H, Tajima N, Kokaze A. LDL-cholesterol and body mass index among Japanese schoolchildren: a population-based cross-sectional study. Lipids in health and disease. 2013; 12(1):77.
- Rizzo AC, Goldberg TB, Silva CC, Kurokawa CS, Nunes HR, Corrente JE. Metabolic syndrome risk factors in overweight, obese, and extremely obese brazilian adolescents. Nutrition journal. 2013; 12(1):19.
- Stewart CP, Christian P, Wu LS, LeClerq SC, Khatry SK, West Jr KP. Prevalence and risk factors of elevated blood pressure, overweight, and dyslipidemia in adolescent and young adults in rural Nepal. Metabolic syndrome and related disorders. 2013 Oct 1; 11(5):319-28.
- Schwandt P, Kelishadi R, Haas GM. Ethnic disparities of the metabolic syndrome in population-based samples of German and Iranian adolescents. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders. 2010 Apr 1; 8(2):189-92.
- Taheri F, Chahkandi T, Kazemi T, Bijari B. Percentile of Serum Lipid Profile in Children and Adolescents of Birjand, Eastern Iran. International Journal of Pediatrics. 2014 Nov 1; 2(4.2):31-8.
- Kit BK, Carroll MD, Lacher DA, Sorlie PD, DeJesus JM, Ogden C. Trends in serum lipids among US youths aged 6 to 19 years, 1988-2010. Jama. 2012 Aug 8; 308(6):591-600.
- Sarrafzadegan N, Kelishadi R, Pourmoghaddas M, Heidari K, Shirani S, Sadeghi M, Babak Eshrati MD, Hadipour E. Outcomes of a comprehensive healthy lifestyle program on cardiometabolic risk factors in a developing country: the Isfahan Healthy Heart Program. Archives of Iranian medicine. 2013 Jan 1; 16(1):4.