Document Type : case report
Faculty of Medicine, MTRC Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Clinical Research Development Unit of Akbar Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Objective: accidental ingestion of brimonidine can lead to serious adverse effects, especially in young children. We report the case of a 2.5-year-old child who ingested brimonidine ointment and experienced apnea and coma.
Case Presentation: The case was a female patient with severe central nervous system depression and apnea as a result of brimonidine ointment ingestion. After administration of oxygen and high doses of naloxone, she improved.
Conclusion: Eating the alpha 2 adrenergic compounds is very dangerous for children, and in addition to medical staff, parents should also receive adequate training on this matter.
- Brimonidine Tartrate eent Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Brimonidine Tartrate topical Monograph for Professionals". Drugs.com. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Muhammad HHA; Manal, Elsayed M; Elghareeb Role of Topical Brimonidine in the Treatment of Dermatological Diseases: Review Article the Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine 2023 J; 128, Volume 90, Page 875-878
- Gunes,A, Balik H, Yel S, Kocamaz H, Bosnakc M. Respiratuvar depression after accidental nasal ingestion of brimonidine eye drops in infant. Turk J Emerg Med. 2016 Dec; 16(4): 169–170.
- Kiril K, Mariyka S, Violeta L Can Ophthalmic Drops Cause Central Nervous System Depression and Cardiogenic Shock in Infants? Pediatric Emergency Care 2013 No; 29(11): p 1207-1209
- Ghaffari Z, Zakariaei Z, Ghazaeian M, Jafari R, Ezoddin N, Nouraee HY, Navaeifar MR. Adverse effects of brimonidine eye drop in children: A case series J Clin Pharm Ther 2021 OCT; 46(5):1469-1472.
- Cimolai N. A review of neuropsychiatric adverse events from topical ophthalmic brimonidine Hum Exp Toxicol 2020 Oct; 39(10):1279-1290.