Document Type : original article
MA in primary education, Primary education teacher in Sarayan city, Ferdows, Iran.
Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran. Cardiovascular Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran.
Education Development Center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran.
Background: Childhood is a sensitive and important period in life, and is a key period in the formation of people's nutritional habits throughout life. Proper nutrition in teenage students can affect the quality and quantity of their growth. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of a health literacy training program on nutritional behaviors among children in Iran.
Methods: In this study, carried out using an interventional method, 30 children were selected by available sampling and divided into two groups by randomized block method. The intervention group received 8 sessions of nutritional health literacy training and the control group did not receive any training. Data were collected using Children's Eating Behavior Questionnaire (CEBQ). Data analysis was performed using SPSS 25 software and analysis of covariance (ANCOVA).
Results: The implementation of the health literacy training program significantly improved the nutritional behaviors of sixth-grade male students (P=0.001, F=6.57). This improvement was associated with reducing the average scores of the negative dimensions of nutritional behaviors (response to food, complaining, emotional overeating, emotional undereating, and the desire for drinks) and increasing the average scores of the positive dimensions (enjoying food, responding to satiety and eating slowly) (p<0.05).
Conclusion: According to the findings, the health literacy program can be used to improve the dimensions of children's nutritional behaviors along with other treatment options. Therefore, it is recommended to implement similar educational programs for students of other grades and for female students.
- Khoshfetrat M.R., Rahmani Kh., Kalantari N., GhatTarpour M., Mchrabi Y., Esmaillzadeh A. Assessment and comparison of food consumption patterns and body mass index of adolescent boys in urban and rural areas of Zarrinshahr, Isfahan. Payesh (Health Monitor) Journal. 2007; 6(2):0-.
- Neumark-Sztainer D, Story M, Perry C, Casey MA. Factors influencing food choices of adolescents: findings from focus-group discussions with adolescents. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 1999; 99(8):929-37.
- Trübswasser U, Talsma EF, Ekubay S, Poelman MP, Holdsworth M, Feskens EJM, Baye K. Factors Influencing Adolescents' Dietary Behaviors in the School and Home Environment in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Frontiers in Public Health. 2022; 10.
- AteŞ ÖZcan B, YeŞİLkaya B, Yaldiz N, PehlİVan M. Factors affecting diet quality in adolescents: the effect of sociodemographic characteristics and meal consumption: Factors Affecting Diet Quality In AdolescentS. Progress in Nutrition. 2021; 22(4):e2020094.
- Mehrabian F, Omidi S, Mahdavi Roshan M, Mirzaee M. Correlation between Nutritional Behavior, Obesity, and Overweight in Female Elementary School Students in Anzali. Journal of Health. 2018; 9(3):291-301.
- Juonala M, Magnussen CG, Berenson GS, Venn A, Burns TL, Sabin MA, Srinivasan SR, Daniels SR, Davis PH, Chen W, Sun C, Cheung M, Viikari JSA, Dwyer T, Raitakari OT. Childhood adiposity, adult adiposity, and cardiovascular risk factors. N Engl j Med. 2011; 365:1876-85.
- Charakida M, Khan T, Johnson W, Finer N, Woodside J, Whincup PH, Sattar N, Kuh D, Hardy R, Deanfield J. Lifelong patterns of BMI and cardiovascular phenotype in individuals aged 60–64 years in the 1946 British birth cohort study: an epidemiological study. The lancet Diabetes & endocrinology. 2014; 2(8):648-54.
- Ohlhorst SD, Russell R, Bier D, Klurfeld DM, Li Z, Mein JR, Milner J, Ross AC, Stover P, Konopka E. Nutrition research to affect food and a healthy life span. The Journal of nutrition. 2013; 143(8):1349-54.
- WHO. Nutrition 2023 [Available from: https://www.who.int/health-topics/nutrition#tab=tab_1.
- Jalalinia S, Ramezani Tehrani F, Baradaran Eftekhari M, Peykari N. Qualitative study of adolescences opinion among nutritional habits and believes. MEDICAL SCIENCES JOURNAL. 2011; 20(4):258-64.
- Patton GC, Olsson CA, Skirbekk V, Saffery R, Wlodek ME, Azzopardi PS, Stonawski M, Rasmussen B, Spry E, Francis K, Bhutta ZA, Kassebaum NJ, Mokdad AH, Murray CJK, Prentice AM, Reavley N, Sheehan P, Sweeny K, Viner RM, Sawyer SM. Adolescence and the next generation. Nature. 2018; 554(7693):458-66.
- Irwin LG, Siddiqi A, Hertzman G. Early child development: A powerful equalizer: Citeseer; 2007.
- Marmot M, Friel S, Bell R, Houweling TA, Taylor S. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. The lancet. 2008; 372(9650):1661-9.
- Liu C, Wang D, Liu C, Jiang J, Wang X, Chen H, Ju X, Zhang X. What is the meaning of health literacy? A systematic review and qualitative synthesis. Family medicine and community health. 2020; 8(2).
- Ratzan SC. Health literacy: communication for the public good. Health Promotion International. 2001; 16(2):207-14.
- Sørensen K, Van den Broucke S, Fullam J, Doyle G, Pelikan J, Slonska Z, Brand H; (HLS-EU) Consortium Health Literacy Project European. Health literacy and public health: a systematic review and integration of definitions and models. BMC public health. 2012; 12:80.
- Coughlin SS, Vernon M, Hatzigeorgiou C, George V. Health Literacy, Social Determinants of Health, and Disease Prevention and Control. Journal of environment and health sciences. 2020; 6(1).
- Nutbeam D. Health literacy as a public health goal: a challenge for contemporary health education and communication strategies into the 21st century. Health Promotion International. 2000; 15(3):259-67.
- Hummel E, Hoffmann I. Complexity of nutritional behavior: Capturing and depicting its interrelated factors in a cause-effect model. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 2016; 55(3):241-57.
- Scaglioni S, De Cosmi V, Ciappolino V, Parazzini F, Brambilla P, Agostoni C. Factors Influencing Children's Eating Behaviours. Nutrients. 2018; 10(6).
- Mohammadi N, Hooshian M, Omidi A, Soltanian A. The Effect of Health Belief Model Education on Nutrition Behavior of Boys in Secondary Schools in Hamadan. Avicenna Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Care. 2019; 26(6):397-406.
- Pirzadeh A, Hazavhei MM, Entezari MH, Hasanzadeh A. The Effect of Educational Program on Nutritional Knowledge and Behavior of Middle School Female Second Graders in Isfahan in 2009. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2011; 11(2):94-102.
- musavi h, mahboobi h, khorgoei t. The effect of educational program on students' nutritional knowledge and practice. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2011; 11(3):306-7.
- O'Brien G, Davies M. Nutrition knowledge and body mass index. Health education research. 2007; 22(4):571-5.
- Valmórbida JL, Goulart MR, Busnello FM, Pellanda LC. Nutritional knowledge and body mass index: A cross-sectional study. Revista da Associacao Medica Brasileira (1992). 2017; 63(9):736-40.
- Malloy-Weir L, Cooper M. Health literacy, literacy, numeracy and nutrition label understanding and use: a scoping review of the literature. Journal of human nutrition and dietetics: the official journal of the British Dietetic Association. 2017; 30(3):309-25.
- Iraj Zareban, Hossien Izadirad, Marzieh Araban. Psychometric evaluation of health literacy for adults (HELIA) in urban area of Balochistan. Payesh (Health Monitor) Journal. 2016; 15(6):669-76.
- Ghaffari M, Hatami H, Rakhshanderou S, Karimi H. Effectiveness of Snack-centered Nutrition Education on Promoting Knowledge, Attitude, and Nutritional Behaviors in Elementary Students. International Journal of Pediatrics. 2017; 5(12):6495-502.
- Lynch MA-M, Franklin GV. Health literacy: An intervention to improve health outcomes. Strategies to Reduce Hospital Mortality in Lower and Middle Income Countries (LMICs) and Resource-Limited Settings: IntechOpen; 2019.
- Silk KJ, Sherry J, Winn B, Keesecker N, Horodynski MA, Sayir A, et al. increasing nutrition literacy: testing the effectiveness of print, web site, and game modalities. 2008; 40(1):3-10.
- Archer LA, Rosenbaum PL, Streiner DLJJoPP. The children's eating behavior inventory: reliability and validity results. 1991; 16(5):629-42.
- nouhi s, janbozorgi m, agah haris m, Najimi A. Standardization of children's eating behavior questionnaire (CEBQ). Health Psychology. 2020; 9(34):41-56.
- Kooshki A, Mohammadi M, Rivandi M. Nutritional intake and its association with educational achievement in high-school students in Islamic Republic of Iran. Eastern Mediterranean health journal, La revue de sante de la Mediterranee orientalen al-Majallah al-sihhiyah li-sharq al-mutawassit. 2018; 24(6):532-7.
- Shirin A, Joveini H, Hashemian M, Kooshki A, Rakhshani MH, Sharifi N, Rohban A. The Effects of an Educational Intervention Based on Poetry, Game, and Problem-Solving Skills on Promoting Nutritional Knowledge and Behavior in Iranian Primary School Students. Journal of Nutrition and Food Security. 2022; 7(4):484-95.
- Mohammadi Zeidi A, Pakpour A. Effect of using the transtheoretical model for breakfast and healthy snacks on education for elementary students in Qazvin. Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences and Food Technology. 2013; 8(2):201-10.
- Saeedy Golluche F, Jalili Z, Tavakoli R, ghanbari s. The Study of Relationship between Health Literacy and Nutritional Practice in High School Adolescents in Tehran. Iranian Journal of Health Education and Health Promotion. 2017; 5(3):224-30.
- Khakpoor S, Niknami S, Tavafian SS, Goodarzi A. Traditional and Modern Teaching Methods in Improving Eating Behaviors of Female Elementary School Students in Chabahar, Iran. Military Caring Sciences. 2016; 3(1):41-7.
- Amini A, Tavousi M, Niknami S. The impact of an educational intervention on nutritional preventive behaviors in osteoporosis among adolescent girls. Payesh (Health Monitor) Journal. 2014; 13(5):609-19.
- Pang B, Memel Z, Diamant C, Clarke E, Chou S, Gregory H. Culinary medicine and community partnership: hands-on culinary skills training to empower medical students to provide patient-centered nutrition education. Medical education online. 2019; 24(1):1630238.
- Saeidi Z, Vakili R, Ghazizadeh Hashemi A, Saeidi M. The Effect of Diet on Learning of Junior High School Students in Mashhad, North-east of Iran. International Journal of Pediatrics. 2015; 3(2.2):517-26.
- Mirzaei A, Ramezankhani A, Taheri Tanjani P, Ghaffari M, Jorvand R, Bazyar M, Momeni K, Heidarianzadeh Z. The Effectiveness of Health Literacy Based Educational Intervention on Nutritional Outcomes of Elderly. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2020; 15(3):324-37.
- Vahedian M, Tehrani H, Robat-Sarpooshi D, Aval M, Jafari A, Alizadeh-Siuki H. The impact of health education on nutritional behaviors in female students: an application of health belief model. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education. 2019; 59:1-13.
- Farahbod B, Rahmati-Najarkolaei F, Balvardi M, Imanigoghary Z, Farahbod F, Zeidabadi R. The Effect of Education on Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Sirjan School of Medical Sciences Staff Regarding the Use of Food Labels. Iranian Journal of Health Education and Health Promotion. 2021; 9(1):33-44.
- Steinsbekk S, Bjørklund O, Llewellyn C, Wichstrøm L. Temperament as a predictor of eating behavior in middle childhood – A fixed effects approach. Appetite. 2020; 150:104640.
- Lotfi Mainbolagh B, Rakhshani F, Zareban I, Alizadeh Sivaki H, Parvizi Z. The effect of peer education based on health belief model on nutrition behaviors in primary school boys. Journal of Research and Health. 2012; 2(2):214-26.
- Golley RK, Hendrie GA, Slater A, Corsini N. Interventions that involve parents to improve children's weight-related nutrition intake and activity patterns - what nutrition and activity targets and behaviour change techniques are associated with intervention effectiveness? Obesity reviews: an official journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity. 2011; 12(2):114-30.
- Räsänen M, Niinikoski H, Keskinen S, Helenius H, Talvia S, Rönnemaa T, Viikari J, Simell O. Parental nutrition knowledge and nutrient intake in an atherosclerosis prevention project: the impact of child-targeted nutrition counselling. Appetite. 2003; 41(1):69-77.
- Adili S, Rayisi Z, Ghasemi N. The Effectiveness of online intervention of fillial therapy on preschool Children's Eating Behavior. Journal of Educational Psychology Studies. 2022; 19(45):54-42.
- Kotecha PV, Patel SV, Baxi RK, Mazumdar VS, Shobha M, Mehta KG, Mansi D, Ekta M. Dietary pattern of schoolgoing adolescents in urban Baroda, India. Journal of health, population, and nutrition. 2013; 31(4):490-6.
- Contento IR, Randell JS, Basch CE. Review and analysis of evaluation measures used in nutrition education intervention research. Journal of nutrition education and behavior. 2002; 34(1):2-25.
- Mesías M, Seiquer I, Navarro MP. Iron nutrition in adolescence. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. 2013; 53(11):1226-37.
- Magalhães P, Vilas C, Pereira B, Silva C, Oliveira H, Aguiar C, Rosário P. Children's Perceived Barriers to a Healthy Diet: The Influence of Child and Community-Related Factors. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2022; 19(4).
- DeCosta P, Møller P, Frøst MB, Olsen A. Changing children's eating behaviour - A review of experimental research. Appetite. 2017; 113:327-57.
- Sharps M, Robinson E. Encouraging children to eat more fruit and vegetables: Health vs. descriptive social norm-based messages. Appetite. 2016; 100:18-25.