1 Department of medical parasitology and mycology, Ghaem Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
2 Department of Immunology, Ghaem Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
3 Department of Biochemistry, Payame Noor University, Tehran, Iran.
4 Department of Biochemistry, Ghaem Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Introduction: Vitamin D has an important role in maintaining human health. The main source of vitamin D production is skin exposure to sunlight. Accordingly with the spread of apartment life culture, growth of industrial cities and the increase of air pollution; vitamin D deficiency and its implications is an important factor in the appearance of debilitating diseases in different age categories (especially for children, adults and elderly people).
Materials and Methods: A retrospective cross-sectional study based on an objective was conducted on 1,110 patients who were selected randomly. These patients have been referred to “center of education culture and research” laboratories (2 laboratories) and 8 specialized laboratories for vitamin D test in the city of Mashhad. And after conducting the study, the collected data was analyzed using SPSS 13 software.
Results: The prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in the population under study was 68.8%. Vitamin D levels were significantly lower in males in comparison with females (P <0.05). And the statistical correlation between age and vitamin D deficiency was also significant (P <0.05). The results showed a significantly positive correlation between age and vitamin D deficiency (r = 0.187 and P = 0.000), consequently vitamin D deficiency in 40-59 age group was more prevalent.
Conclusion: The prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in the residents of the city of Mashhad is higher in men in comparison with women. And vitamin D deficiency has increased considerably in this city in comparison with the past years.
- Brown AJ, Dusso A, Slatopolsky E. Vitamin D. Am J Physiol. 1999 Aug;277(2 Pt 2):F157-75.
- Rao LS, Ray R, Holick MF, Horst RL, Uskokovic MR, Reddy GS. Metabolism of [3alpha-3H] 25-hydroxyvitamin D2 in kidneys isolated from normal and vitamin D2-intoxicated rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2000 Oct;46(5):222-9.
- Biancuzzo RM, Young A, Bibuld D, Cai MH, Winter MR, Klein EK, Ameri A, Reitz R, Salameh W, Chen TC, Holick MF. Fortification of orange juice with vitamin D(2) or vitamin D(3) is as effective as an oral supplement in maintaining vitamin D status in adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Jun; 91(6):1621-6.
- MacLaughlin JA, Anderson RR, Holick MF. Spectral character of sunlight modulates photosynthesis of previtamin D3 and its photoisomers in human skin. Science. 1982 May 28;216(4549):1001-3.
- Lagunova Z1, Porojnicu AC, Aksnes L, Holick MF, Iani V, Bruland OS, Moan J. Effect of vitamin D supplementation and ultraviolet B exposure on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in healthy volunteers: a randomized, crossover clinical trial. Br J Dermatol. 2013 Aug;169(2):434-40
- Tangpricha V1, Koutkia P, Rieke SM, Chen TC, Perez AA, Holick MF. Fortification of orange juice with vitamin D: a novel approach for enhancing vitamin D nutritional health. See comment in PubMed Commons below Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Jun;77(6):1478-83.
- Holick MF. Vitamin D and bone health. J Nutr. 1996 Apr;126(4 Suppl):1159S-64S.
- Holick MF, Vitamin D: importance in the prevention of cancers, type 1 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis. Am J Clin Nutr 2004; 79(3): p. 362-71.
- Saeidinia A, Larijani B, Jalalinia Sh, Farzadfar F, Keshtkar AA, Rezaei E, et al. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism 2014;12(6):574-84.
10- Sullivan SS, Rosen CJ,Halteman WA, Chen TC, Holick MF. Adolescent girls in Maine are at risk for vitamin D insufficiency. J Am Diet Assoc ٢٠٠۵; ١٠۵(۶): ٩٧١-۴.
11- DeLuca HF. Overview of general physiologic features and functions of vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr ٢٠٠۴; ٨٠(۶ Suppl): ١۶٨٩S-٩۶S.
12- Schmidt-Gayk H, Bouillon R, Roth HJ. Measurement of vitamin D and its metabolites (calcidiol and calcitriol) and their clinical significance. Scand J Clin Invest ١٩٩٧; ۵٧ (Suppl ٢٢٧): ٣۵-۴۵.
13- Lips P. Vitamin D status and nutrition in Europe and Asia. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol ٢٠٠٧;٠٣(٣-۵): ۶٢٠-۵.
14- Das G, Crocombe S, McGrath M, Berry JL, Mughal MZ. Hypovitaminosis D among healthy adolescent girls attending an inner city school. Arch Dis Child ٢٠٠۶;٩١(٧): ۵۶٩-٧٢.
15- Michael F, Holick M. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med ٢٠٠٧; ٣۵٧:٢۶۶-٨١.
16- Lindsay R, Meunier PJ:Osteoporosis: Review of the evidence for prevention, diagnosis and treatment and cost-effectiveness analysis. Osteoporosis International ١٩٩٨; ٨: (Suppl. ۴): ٣-١٠.
17. Shakiba M, Rafiei P. Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency Among Medical Staff in Shahid Sadoughi Hospital in Yazd, Iran. The journal of Toloo-e-behdasht 2009;7(3): 22-30.
18. Heshmat R, Mohammad K, Majdzadeh SR,Forouzanfar MH, Bahrami A, Ranjbar GH,Omrani N, Rajabian R, Hossein-Nezhad A, Rezaei Hemami M, Keshtkar AA, Pajouhi M,and Larijani B. Vitamin D Deficiency in Iran:A Multi-center Study among Different Urban Areas. Iranian J Publ Health A supplementary issue on Osteoporosis and Bone Turnover,No.1, 2008: p. 7.
19. Moradzadeh K, Larijani MB, Keshtkar AA, Hosein-nejad A, Rajabian R, Nabipour E, et al. Normal levels of vitamin D and vitamin D deficiency in Iran. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 2005;10:33-43.
20. Chapuy MC, Preziosi P, Maamer M, Arnaud S, Galan P, Hercberg S, Meunier PJ. Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in an adult normal population. Osteoporos Int. 1997;7(5):439-43.
21. Burnand B, Sloutskis D, Gianoli F, Cornuz J, Rickenbach M, Paccaud F, Burckhardt P. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D: distribution and determinants in the Swiss population. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992 Sep;56(3):537-42.