Document Type : original article
Firat University, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Elazig / Turkey
Background: This study aimed at investigating the attitudes of young adults towards e-learning and playing digital games for learning sports.
Method: The research group consisted of 189 (77 female, 112 male) young volunteered athletes in the province of Elazig, turkey. A “Personal Information Form”, “Attitude Scale Towards E-Learning in Sports” and the “Digital Gaming Attitude Scale” (DOOTÖ) were implemented to assess the attitudes of the athletes towards playing digital games with e-learning in sports.
Results: The findings revealed that the attitudes of the research sample towards e-learning in sports and playing digital games differed significantly according to their gender, and there was no significant difference in neither of the scales according to the years of exerience in sports and the type of their sport (individual and team sports) (p>0.05). Furthermore, the young adults' attitudes towards e-learning in sports and playing digital games were inversely correlated (R=-.047; R2=.002; p<0.05)
Conclusion: In general, a weak negative relationship was found between young adults' attitudes towards e-learning in sports and playing digital games.
- Savaş S, Güler O, Kaya K, Çoban G, Güzel, MS. Digital Games in Education and Learning through Games. International Journal of Active Learning, 2021; 6 (2), 117-140.
- Tel M. Examination of student’s digital gaming habits at secondary school level in Elazig Province of Turkey. Educational Research and Reviews, 2015; 10(8), 1300-1310.
- Simonson M, Smaldino S, Zvacek S.M. (Eds.). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education. IAP, 2014.
- Moore MG, Kearsley G. Distance education: A systems view of online learning. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning, 2012.
- Doğan D, Duman D, Seferoğlu SS. E-öğrenme ortamlarında toplumsal buradalığın arttırılması için kullanılabilecek iletişim araçları. Akademik Bilişim Konferansı, 2011; 2(4), 1-9.
- Fairclough SJ, Stratton G. Physical education makes you fit and healthy, Physical education contribution to young people's physical activity levels. Health Education Research, 2005; 20, 14-23.
- Welk GJ, Maduro PF, Laurson KR, Brown, DD. Field evaluation of the new FITNESSGRAM® criterion-referenced standards. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2011; 41, 131– 142.
- Mutlu Bozkurt T. Tamer K. The Scale of Attitude to E-Learning in Sports. International Social Mentality and Researcher Thinkers Journal, 2020; 6(36): 1761-1771.
- Yıldırım, İ, Demir S. Gamification and education. Journal of Human Sciences, 2014; 11(1), 655-670.
- Demir, GT, Bozkurt TM. The Digital Gaming Attitude Scale (DGAS): A Reliability and Validity Study. Sportive Sight: Journal of Sports and Education, 2019; 6(1), 1-18.
- Tavşancıl E. Tutumların Ölçülmesi ve SPSS İle Veri Analizi (5. Baskı). Ankara: Nobel Yayınevi, 2014.
- Mutlu Bozkurt T, Dursun M, Arı Ç. Examination of attitudes of students of sports sciences towards digital game play. Journal of Human Sciences, 2019; 16(4), 1217-1227.
- Media Analysis Laboratory, Simon Fraser University, B.C. (1998). Video game culture: Leisure and play of B.C. teens.http://www.media-awareness. ca/ english/ resources/ research_documents/ studies/ video_games/ video_ game_ culture .cfm.
- Aras E, Karakaya YE. Opinions of Academic Staff Who Work at Sport Training Institutions towards Distance Education: A Qualitative Study. Spormetre the Journal of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, 2020; 18(2), 1-12.
- Tekinarslan E. A Validity and Reliability Study of the Basıc Technology Competencıes Scale for Educators. Electronic Journal of Social Sciences, 2008; 7(26), 186-205.
- Demir M. Investigating Education Faculty Learners’ Acceptence Level of E-learning Tools from Different Variable Perspectives. Master's thesis, Sakarya University, 2013.
- Akuratiya DA, Meddage DN. Students’ Perception of Online Learning during COVID-19 Pandemic: A Survey Study of IT Students. International Journal of Research and Innovation in Social Science (IJRISS), 2020; 4(9), 755-8.
- Kurnaz, F. B., & Ergün, E. E-öğrenme ortamlarında öğrenme stilleri ve akademik başarı arasındaki ilişkinin incelenmesi. Kuramsal Eğitimbilim Dergisi [Journal of Theoretical Educational Science], 2019; 12(2), 532-549.
- Yaseen, H., & Eryılmaz, S. Lise Öğrencilerinde E-Öğrenme Kullanımının Akademik Başarıya Etkisi: Filistin Örneği. Türkiye Eğitim Dergisi, 2021; 6(2), 412-426.
- Reyhan, F. & Dağlı, E. Covıd-19 Pandemisinde Ebelik Bölümü Öğrencilerinin E-Öğrenme Algısı. Ebelik ve Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi, 2021; 4(3), 213-221.
- İşbulan O. The Usability Level of Distance Education’s Web Site (SAU Sample). Master's thesis, Sakarya University, 2008.
- Yıldız S. The Attitudes of the Students Having Pedagogical Formation Training towards Distance Education. Bolu Abant İzzet Baysal University Journal of Graduate School of Social Sciences, 2016; 16(1), 301-329.
- Kılınç M. The effectiveness of distance education a research on "İnönü University Distance Education Centre of Theology Degree Completion Program Example", Doctoral Thesis, İnönü University, 2015.
- Korkmaz, Ö, Çakır, R. & Tan, S. Öğrencilerin E-Öğrenmeye Hazır Bulunuşluk ve Memnuniyet Düzeylerinin Akademik Başarıya Etkisi. Ahi Evran Üniversitesi Kırşehir Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 2015; 16 (3), 219-241.
- Demir Öztürk, S. & Eren, E. Üniversite Öğrencilerinin Çevrimiçi Öğrenme Ortamına İlişkin Memnuniyet Düzeylerinin Bazı Değişkenlere Göre İncelenmesi. Uluslararası Bilim ve Eğitim Dergisi, 2021; 4(2), 67-84.
- Muilenburg LY, Berge ZL. Student barriers to online learning: A factor analytic study, Distance Education, 2005; 26:1, 29-48.
- Çetin U. An investigation about the attitudes of maritime high school students' toward e-learning in terms of different variables. Master Thesis, Bahçeşehir University 2018.
- Bozkurt, T. M., & Erdogan, R. Investigation of the Relationship between the Attitudes of Physical Education and Sports Teacher Candidates towards E-Learning in Sports and Academic Success in the Distance Education Process. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 2022; 21(2), 47.
- Çakıt, İ. & Karadeniz, Ş. (2020). Harmanlanmış Öğrenme Ortamlarının, Hentbolda Temel Becerilerin Gelişimine Etkisi. Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart Üniversitesi Spor Bilimleri Dergisi, 3(3), 34-52.